Is Django (Python) worth it?

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Luke111

Is Django (Python) worth it?

Post by Luke111 »

Hi!
I am wondering if anyone has heard of or used Django. Is it a stable, usable way to make websites in Python?

Most importantly:
Is it worth my time? I already know PHP more than enough, and have a growing hatred for Node, but I love Python. Maybe this is the route I should take for future websites?

-Luke
I don't believe in platform-specific development, but I also don't believe in Apple.
a_bertrand

Re: Is Django (Python) worth it?

Post by a_bertrand »

Well, I would say it all depends on what you want to do. Node.JS, PHP, Phytho, Ruby or whatever are just languages with their framework / libs. Each have their pro and cons. If you tell me that your site is a small thing which should be run on any platform, then PHP may be the way to go. If you develop professional websites for bigger companies then I would watch Java or .NET. There isn't a single best answer out there, as it really depends your goals and your skills.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Cayle

Re: Is Django (Python) worth it?

Post by Cayle »

I've used Django. Some people swear by it. I find it a bit wonky to set up and you are on the road less traveled; which means that there is less to choose from among off the shelf apps. On the other hand, Python is awesome and once you've got over the initial cobbling together pains, you'd probably swear by it as well.

Just bear in mind that the language a framework is written in does not automatically translate to out of the box goodness. Case in point, Plone - proof that an over complicated beast can be written in Python.

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”