*MMORTS Questions*

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Dave21

*MMORTS Questions*

Post by Dave21 »

**Sorry I originally posted in the wrong section**

Hi, Long time reader, First time Poster.

First of i just wanted to say that Halls, Your tutorial is awesome, and it is what gave me hope of actually attempting this. I have studied php and my_sql in highschool before i decided to go into the automotive field. I do have some exp and i found the MMO TuT to be fairly easy as it was a great refresher since i havent done this for a few years. But I do have a few questions just to get me pointed in the right direction. Im looking to make a game similar to Evony / Pocket empires (android game) / Haypi Kingdom (iphone/android game). If anyone has any idea where i should start, Tut's would be nice or some source code that i can play with would also be great. I Do plan to this on my free time as i an automotive technician, but i would love to actually start working on this project. I would like to start it as web browser game and then possibly convert to an android/iphone game but thats long down the road.
Once again i just wanted to thank Halls for this awesome community, and all his hard work.

any help would be appreciated

thanks,
Dave
Jackolantern

Re: *MMORTS Questions*

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't know of any tutorials really for making an MMORTS, but I believe there are at least some pieces in Halls' Forsaken Sanctum videos and code that could help you, such as making buildings, etc. You will also need to get up on Javascript as well, since a lot of an RTS game needs to have an advanced user interface. However, I think Evony is actually a Flash game, not PHP. I could be wrong since I haven't actually played it, though.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Dave21

Post by Dave21 »

Jackolantern wrote:I don't know of any tutorials really for making an MMORTS, but I believe there are at least some pieces in Halls' Forsaken Sanctum videos and code that could help you, such as making buildings, etc. You will also need to get up on Javascript as well, since a lot of an RTS game needs to have an advanced user interface. However, I think Evony is actually a Flash game, not PHP. I could be wrong since I haven't actually played it, though.
Thanks jack, ya after further research i did find that Evony is a flash game. With a combination of java and php do you think it would be possible?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Keep in mind that "Java" and "Javascript" are two totally different, unrelated things.

I do actually think it would be possible with Javascript and PHP. Really, most things that can be done in Flash can be done with JS, it just depends on how complex it will eventually get. Complex, timeline-based animation, for example, is much more suited for Flash even though it can be done with Javascript. gameQuery may be of some help for a project like that.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

sorry for late response. I am not sure where to get tuts for this but this should be able to be done(a simple version) pretty easily with either
PHP for a turn based
or JS for a real time. (will be harder though)

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”