RTS

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
Dabouh

RTS

Post by Dabouh »

Hi all,

As i said i am working on RTS, it is a kind of Lord of Ultima from EA if some of you remember this; and it has been remake by Crown of the Gods.

Today i am wondering, if it is a good idea to use PHP with Mysql to make the back end.

I found with PHP/Mysql that it was possible to use cron table and events in Mysql DB to update the data of the players,
for example i can raise the amount of ressources when the players are not online, and i can create some combats events even if the players are also not online.

My concern is about the speed of the database, what happens if there are 100 players at the same time, this will still work ? or will i have a deny system ?

I know that there is node.j with socket.io can be used with mongodb, i started a little to see how that works, but it is a lot of work (again) to understand all this.

What do you think about ?

Thx

Dabouh
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: RTS

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

MySQL can definitely handle a lot of connections. I would not worry about it too much unless you plan on thousands of thousands of players. When you get there you can afford to change it.

So are you using js with ajax then to make it real time?
KaL

Post by KaL »

Don’t reinvent the wheel. Try out my engine:
It has all the module you need to build your game.
If not I can make them.

MMORPG (MYSQL systm)
http://167.99.108.136/pro/

Text Based MMO (MYSQL system)
http://167.99.108.136/FullAllMods/

Sorry for the landing page, someone keep deleting
My image.

Username: admin
Password: admin

Username: player
Password: player

If you like the engine DM me.
Dabouh

Post by Dabouh »

Hi

Ok thx for the answer hallsofvallhalla.

Yes i use ajax to send javascript variables json format to php.

I saw what you did Kal, it is a nice game, it look like ultima II, long time ago.

What i am doing is very different, there is no animation, i am making a wargame, i don t use a hero system, there are armies and castles, it is economic and military strategical.

I use hexagon system map.

But i will be very please to receive some advices and help during the contruction of the code.

I think there will be a first beta version in the end of november.

thx Dabouh

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”