Creation of a RTS browser based game.

Place for questions and answers for all newcomers and new coders. This is a free for all forum, no question is too stupid and to noob.
JFoulke

Creation of a RTS browser based game.

Post by JFoulke »

Hi, i’m new to the website and also new to the world of the game creation.
For a few years I wanted to create a web based RTS game, but unfortunately often the tutorial I found wasn’t what I was looking for because they were explaining how to create single player RTS games.
What I would like to create is a web based multiplayer modern war RTS game, really similar to Desert Operation but with more variety in troops and weaponry. https://desertoperations.gamigo.com
Unfortunately I have zero previous experience with coding with video games, so i’ve never even started.
But luckily recently I found a guy willing to help that has experience with coding for accountants programs (I know it’s nothing like coding a game but at least he has experience with coding for something)
Could you help us finding out with what language we could work and which engine we could use?
Thank you a lot
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Creation of a RTS browser based game.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

The site is blocked at work for me so will check it tonight and get back to you. If it is web based real time you are looking at Nodejs most likely or even Unity using the HTML5 plugin but if it is turn based then you have quite a few options. PHP, Javascript, Java, ect..
JFoulke

Post by JFoulke »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:The site is blocked at work for me so will check it tonight and get back to you. If it is web based real time you are looking at Nodejs most likely or even Unity using the HTML5 plugin but if it is turn based then you have quite a few options. PHP, Javascript, Java, ect..
Thank a lot, I’m going to wait for updates from you once you have taken a look at it, is it too much if I ask you (once you have seen it) if you could tell me a good tutorial to follow to start creating it?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You are in luck! A few years back I read an HTML5 + JS game development book that spent most of the book explaining how to create a web-based, multiplayer RTS similar to Command and Conquer. That book would have been fairly outdated today but I thought I had seen a few months back the author released a 2nd edition of the book. Here it is on Amazon: Pro HTML5 Games, 2nd Edition. I completely recommend it for your dev. It doesn't start out with how to program which is good since your dev already knows how to program. I think this book includes everything you would need to get a foundation set up and then prepares you for extending it and making it your own after reading and working through it. And that is the most critical part: Once you get a foundation setup that allows you to have a multiplayer RTS that functions, all of the units, power-ups, fields, etc. are all just content creation that you won't need tutorials for.

I think I can say I usually have a pretty good idea of what multiplayer JS resources are out there and this is far and away the closest to what you are looking for that exists today. The author of the book, Aditya Ravi Shankar, made some waves a few years back by recreating Command and Conquer in the browser. The author even has an account here and drops by from time-to-time to discuss his books.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I agree with Jack. This is definitely a perfect path for you to take.

Return to “Beginner Help and Support”