Very old...The Servant MMO Engine

RealmCrafter, Multiverse, MMOKIT, ect...
Kesstryl

Very old...The Servant MMO Engine

Post by Kesstryl »

I have no idea if this would work on a modern system, but this could be worth tinkering with. It looks easy enough to install and get running. I honestly don't know how I stumbled across this, I think I was looking up multiplayer engines and this popped up:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/servant/

Anyway, I tried to see if I could find any online info, and I found this thread on a Russian game dev forum (I let google translate it) and these were the instructions for getting it to run:

" if someone did not understand how to run the test, you must go to the folder TSServer, and run the file MainServer.exe, then go to the folder Engine, and run the file test.exe. In the end, choose your character stats, and launch. "

I do have an old XP laptop that I might try to get it to run on if I don't get it to work on my modern desktop, but I would have no clue how to update it to work on a modern machine. Right now I have a paper to write, so I'll tinker with it later. Let me know if someone else gets it running.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Very old...The Servant MMO Engine

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I could have sworn ckob the creator was a part of this community. I may be thinking of another community. Let me check.
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

I probably won't mess with this. On the SourceForge page it had a Zlib license, but when I poked through the engine files, it has a GNU license. I hate GNU, mainly because if I create something unique, I would have to release the source code to my unique creation, and then it won't be unique because anyone can take it and put up their own copy. In the case of a MMO, I think distributing the client would mean I would have to make my source code available.

Anyway, Blitzplus (which is what this was built with) is free now, as are all the Blitz products, so if someone else wants to tinker with it, it would not be hard to do so.
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Heck, I'll look at messing with this. Seems interesting.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG

Return to “MMO Makers”