HTML5 ORPG/MMO Engine?

RealmCrafter, Multiverse, MMOKIT, ect...
crzyone9584

HTML5 ORPG/MMO Engine?

Post by crzyone9584 »

Are there any decent html5 engines out there for multiplayer/mmo/orpg styles of games?I'd rather have a open source one than one that i have pay. I'm also looking for one that is fairly decently completed or is totally complete and able to help me learn. I've been watching the tutorials of of html5 and node.js but i'm trying to save up for a vacation and can't afford the the impact engine right now.
Imagecrzy
Male Ninja
Str: 5 Agi: 17 Fort: 5 IQ: 5
HP: 10/10 MP: 5/5
See Full Character:
Jackolantern

Re: HTML5 ORPG/MMO Engine?

Post by Jackolantern »

There are a few HTML5 MMORPG engines, but pickings are still pretty slim. The Isogenic Engine is a commercial HTML5 MMO engine, and probably the most complete of the bunch. As the name implies, its specialty is isometric MMORPGs. The going rate of the online version is £164.00. There is also Mighty Fingers. It does not seem quite as MMORPG-ready, although it does stress real-time online play. It seems that it does not require money up front, but rather royalties, or something along those lines. The license information is rather vague. You cannot download the engine from their site, so you must contact them for it. There was another engine called The Rocket Engine, but it seems to have disappeared. It was probably abandoned or was bought by another company for proprietary usage.

As far as completely free engines, there are 2 that I know of. First is BrowserQuest, which was made by Mozilla. It is a fairly small, low-feature MMO engine, more closely resembling an online Zelda. You can grab the source code for it on GitHub here. The second one I have stumbled across is Tikal Online. I linked the GitHub source code search, since the client and server are two different projects. They supposedly have the game up to play here, but the main page appears broken, at least for me. There is oddly no browser scrollbar in Chrome, and every time I try to register it says my username already exists, even if it is just gibberish.

That is about all I have been able to find, and I have been keeping my eye on HTML5 MMO engines.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
crzyone9584

Post by crzyone9584 »

Yea the Isogenic one is just a tad out of my range. Thank for all the other suggestions. I'll check them out and see what they already have and build off that.
Imagecrzy
Male Ninja
See Full Character:
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

No problem! I posted Isogenic even though you said Impact was too much. Isogenic is out of my game engine budget range as well. £164 is nearly $250 :|
crzyone9584

Post by crzyone9584 »

Yup that 250 is way out of my budget. 99 is just right outside. But if i remember when i looked for each person who uses it you must buy a lisence. Is there any decent free/open source graphics engine for html5? Or should i save up for one that's more of a paid one.I'm sure I can adapt the tutorials for impact and node.js for any graphics engine really. I just dont know what a good one is.
Imagecrzy
Male Ninja
See Full Character:
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The best free HTML5 game engine is probably CraftyJS. Most free HTML5 game engines suffer from an extreme lack of documentation, but Crafty seems to have a pretty good amount, with a full API documentation, and a "Getting Started" tutorial section. Some of the demos and games made with it look pretty impressive as well. If I didn't already have Impact, I would have chosen that one easily.

Another potential option is RPGjs. I believe it actually can consume RPG Maker-made content and display it. It could serve as a decent starting place for an MMO with node.js, but since it was made with single-player in mind, it may end up still being a lot of work since you would have to move so much of the game logic off of the client and back onto the server.

If none of these seem to work for you, you could check out this fairly complete list of Javascript/HTML5 game engines. 8-)
dbest

Post by dbest »

Jackolantern wrote:The best free HTML5 game engine is probably CraftyJS. Most free HTML5 game engines suffer from an extreme lack of documentation, but Crafty seems to have a pretty good amount, with a full API documentation, and a "Getting Started" tutorial section. Some of the demos and games made with it look pretty impressive as well. If I didn't already have Impact, I would have chosen that one easily.
Crafty's getting started page, leaves a lot to be desired.. However they have a link to other engines. But I would think its a good start.
You are a big fan of Impact.JS. I would have purchased it.. but I too am considering a free library/framework at the moment.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Crafty's documentation is about as good as you are going to get for a free HTML5 game engine, I am afraid. It is well-known developers hate writing documentation and tutorials for the most part (heck, even Node.js, one of the hottest trends in development right now, still does not have full official documentation), so if the engine is open source and they make nothing on it, few will put in the blood, sweat and tears to actually cobble-up decent docs. The thing that is nice is that Crafty has full API documentation, fully documenting all of the objects, methods, etc. in the engine. This is invaluable compared to engines that make you crawl through the source code every time you need to find out more about an object. Considering that this probably came from jsDoc comments, an IDE like Visual Studio will probably pick it up and use it in the Intellisense/code-completion.

I just looked thoroughly through the "Getting Started" section on Crafty, and it seems a few sections near the top of the article list are WIP. Look down at the "BananaBomber" section for a more complete explanation.

I can say that this is definitely the best documentation I have seen in a competent, full-featured (multi-channel sound, collision detection, effects, controls, entity support, etc.) free HTML5 engine, and I have seen most of them to date. Of course that doesn't mean you should stop looking, because there could be something new out there, but I can say that Crafty isn't too far behind Impact on documentation.

EDIT: I found where you mentioned that engine list on Crafty, and sadly I can say it is a grave yard. GameQuery is still alive and well, but it is DOM only and not an HTML5 engine. Render Engine's website has vanished, and no word on is development has occurred in over a year. Impact is of course the king of the heap for HTML5 engines, but is commercial. Rocket Engine is also MIA, with its website having disappeared sometime in the last several months, and the company's website changing into a single email address displayed in the middle of the page. Three engine is still around and on GitHub, but all it has in the way of documentation is an incomplete API reference. Aves Engine was bought by Zynga and is used exclusively for proprietary use.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

construct2

or RPGjs is coming out with a multiplayer option using socket.io. They probably used my tutorials! hehe

http://rpgcreator.net/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Isn't that a different engine from "RPGjs"? I don't think I have seen this one before. This is RPGjs's website. RPG Creator looks pretty cool, though, like an HTML5 Eclipse (which is much cooler than the client versions these days)!

EDIT: And for $10, why not try it out? :)

Return to “MMO Makers”