Tmmokit is still a worthy kit.

RealmCrafter, Multiverse, MMOKIT, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Tmmokit is still a worthy kit.

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Been working on getting a younger kid into programming and got him started with the TMMOkit. Like the average kid he gave up before really trying. I told him if I could build a descent screen in 15 minutes worth of work he had to keep trying. This is what I come up with :P

SpiritWebb

Re: Tmmokit is still a worthy kit.

Post by SpiritWebb »

Nice...good luck with the younger kid...hope it all turns out well...would love to see what he can do!! ;)

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

fooled with Modernization kit...flooded the area :)

This is plain TGE

SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

WOW

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Probably need to show some imminent threat (or killing something, as kids are wont to do). Because really just the basics, like being able to walk around or see some trees and rocks - that's not a game. It's more like an interactive painting. So there's no thrill of gaming to reward him to continue further. Maybe have boulders rolling down toward his character and he has to survive by running out of the way for thirty seconds - help him code that?
Fight Cycle : My latest Browser game WIP
Driftwurld : My Browser Game WIP
Philosopher Gamer : My Blog
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

TMMOKit is still a very exciting platform for an indie MMORPG in my opinion. The sad part is how the hose bringing in new devs has been cut off forever due to Garage Games obliterating TGE from their lineup. It is sad that the community is doomed to dwindle and vanish forever, basically, since no new people can enter the fray.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Agreed but supposedly when you buy T3D now the TGE license comes with it. If this is true then there are many ways to download TGE if you can't get it directly from the GG site. Not sure why one would want it though other than its mutli-platform. The kit comes already setup and the source is available in the download.

The nice thing about the kit is it is small, easy to use, and commercial games have been made with it.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

So wait, the kit doesn't require TGE anymore?

Oh, and a T3D license no longer includes TGE. I emailed them, and they told me there was no way at all to get it anymore.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Strange, someone else told me they said the license extended across the versions now. I will email them ans ask about the kit before I go any further. The person I talked to asked about the kit and GG sounded okay but no point in wasting time to find out later you can't use it.

The kit includes everything you need so no need to download TGE at all. Also the Kit is open source as well. So I am quite sure there is no need. I will double check and get an answer.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I always thought the TMMOKit required TGE, which the dev had to get separately.

And I guess it is possible GG changed their stance on giving away TGE. I asked them about it around a year ago, and they almost sounded embarrassed about TGE, and told me it would be impossible to get it. Of course, that was "Torque Powered", which obviously did not work out well for them, and maybe they are offering it again now that they reverted back to Garage Games. It would still definitely be worth an asking before making any plans that involve being able to get a license, though.

Return to “MMO Makers”