Dreawever work to make mmo brower game?

RealmCrafter, Multiverse, MMOKIT, ect...
Squall679

Dreawever work to make mmo brower game?

Post by Squall679 »

I was just wondering if dreawever(a web design program) would work?
Would someone, know how to redirect stuff in dreamwever? It design the site, but know if you can redirt stuff?
if you know this work post below! Also if any eas[y web program design work please post with tutorial! Thank
Jackolantern

Re: Dreawever work to make mmo brower game?

Post by Jackolantern »

As you mentioned, Dreamweaver is a web design application. So it would help you design the look of the webpages used in your game, but it would not actually help you program your game. It can be used as a code editor when writing your PHP, but it really doesn't offer any features above and beyond other low-cost or free code editors, such as CodeLobster, ConText and others. The primary value of Dreamweaver is really in its graphical webpage design features, which allow you to "drag'n'drop" to create a webpage rather than write the HTML by hand.

Those are the facts above. Now I will switch a bit more into my own personal opinion. Personally, I do not use a graphical web design program, and almost no one here does. Even using a drag'n'drop program like that, you are still bound by the rules of HTML and CSS, and trying to hide those rules behind an illusion of WYSIWYG freedom can actually cause a lot of headache for a developer. Your future as a web developer (either as a hobby or profession) depends on learning the ins and outs of HTML and CSS (even if you don't plan to do the final design yourself), so you may as well jump in the trenches and learn to do it by hand. Plus, the future of web development is in "web applications" and less so "web pages". This means that developers are increasingly needing to work with the actual code of their pages, and not just worry what they look like. That further makes programs like Dreamweaver less useful because you will end up working with the code anyway, so why not write it yourself so you are intimately familiar with it?

In the end, whether you use a program like Dreamweaver or Expression Web to design your pages, about 95% of the work to making a browser-based game is in programming actual code like PHP and Javascript, which Dreamweaver really offers no advantage in.

EDIT: What do you mean by "redirecting stuff"?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

i use dreamweaver but DO NOT use the design side. i am soon to switch though for it is missing key features that even free programs have. Like { } highlighting.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

While it is not free, phpDesigner 7 has some great features, Halls, like "code dim", which I found out they call it, where only the block of language-specific code your cursor is in is highlighted. Say you have HTML, CSS, PHP and JS in the same file, and you click in the JS. All the rest of the code except the JS turns gray so you can block it out and focus on the JS only. It is an amazingly ingenious feature that I am surprised other IDEs don't have. It also has tons of other great features, good code completion, a step-by-step debugger (which I have not tried out yet), HTML5 and CSS3 support in heavy development currently, among other things. It isn't badly priced at $39 for non-commercial or $95 for a commercial license.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail this thread. You can see my initial phpDesigner 7 review in the review forum for any further discussion regarding the IDE.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

yep gonna give it a try.

For free products I recommend CodeLobster. Quite awesome for a free product. Do not get use to using DreamWeaver. You will only have to relearn something else later.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, CodeLobster is a good free one, and definitely would be my suggestion to a newer programmer, since it doesn't have a boatload of features to confuse the new user (the way that Aptana or Eclipse easily can).
ConceptDestiny

Post by ConceptDestiny »

I've been using PSpad to code my games. Seems fairly good, although I'll try this codelobster you guys are talking about.
PaxBritannia

Post by PaxBritannia »

Zend (the 'company' behind PHP) also has some useful tools for free that you might want to check out:
http://www.zend.com/en/community/pdt

pax.

Return to “MMO Makers”