Text base MMO

RealmCrafter, Multiverse, MMOKIT, ect...
The fix

Text base MMO

Post by The fix »

Hey, are there any tutorials on how to create a browser based text game, or rather a text base MMO? The environment would run similarly to that of a Mush.
Sakar

Re: Text base MMO

Post by Sakar »

Have you looked at halls' tutorials? They cover this pretty well.
The fix

Post by The fix »

I watched it briefly, first few. I thought I post here to find out if they cover what I am wanting to do. Thank you for the reply.
Sakar

Post by Sakar »

The tutorials will teach you everything that you need to complete your project.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

When you say "runs like a MUSH", do you mean to ask if it actually runs like a TELNET game? If so, then no, that is not covered in the tutorials. It would be possible to use what you learn in the videos, and then learn AJAX and create a browser-based TELNET-like game by making an AJAX chat room that is run by scripts in the background, but that is quite beyond the scope of the tutorials.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
The fix

Post by The fix »

Yes, something along those lines. It would be something like an enhanced chat room, so to speak. An example of this is what Ironrealms got set up with their games.

http://www.Ironrealms.com

ok, I am guessing I should just Google for resource info on AJAX. How difficult is it to learn AJAX, would you say?

Are there other methods, tutorials, and/or places you suggest I look into?

On the previous text based MMO Mushes/Muds I have staffed on, they had a system set up that was coded to where all you have to do, more or less, is plug-in descriptions to build/create objects in game.

What are your thoughts about Game Maker?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The Iron Realms games are actually not browser-based games. They are actually TELNET server games (MUDs) written in C++. They simply offer a Java MUD client that runs in the browser, but the games themselves, outside of the client, are not written in normal web development ways.

AJAX is basically a technique of how to use Javascript along with a server-side scripting language such as PHP. It can actually be quite complicated to learn for new programmers.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Game maker is good to begin with. Helps with concepts and such. You could build something similar with it. It has a basic networking.
The fix

Post by The fix »

Are there any other suggestions or game creator referrals you might have for developing my game ideas ? Could I possibly run my game concept(s) as text based MMO(s), then if I later learn and/or meet individual(s) who have coding abilities up to that level, switch it over to a style like Ironrealms?

I would think the game idea, itself, could be ran as a text based MMO; however, I could be very much wrong.

Are there any other game makers you would suggest?

I thought numerous times about how nice it would be if I could high jack someones coding details/scripts, and just shove it all into my own server space. Yeah, just send some them I sweet virus that steals it all. Too bad that has not come into affect. My final course of action, should I fail at getting my game(s) up, is to have children force them to learn coding and all that jazz, then make them write the coding for my game(s)/community. I also thought about forcing people at my college, who can code, through blackmail too.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

check out sourgeforge...it has tons of open source projects. I am also thinking of selling Quests of Crocania, a full game with a backend you can manage the whole game with. Pics and description in the Projects showoff section.

Return to “MMO Makers”