What would you change in zombies games?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
vitinho444

What would you change in zombies games?

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys!!

On the aftermath of my recent Multiplayer FPS tutorials, I used the greenlight slot for the tutorials for the DEMO of the final build of the tutorials. Boy did I mess it up... I ended up with more than 200 reviews (mostly bad due to the nature of the game being a DEMO for a tutorial series..) and according to steamspy, between 40-50k players/owners.

So, I was ready to drop it and build my dream RTS, but in the back of my head, something told me "dude... 50k players" and damn I got some morale boost.

TL;DR; I'm making what is essential an improvement to the classic COD Zombies Mode and L4D2 mechanics. I'm basing the game in those two initially, but I want to go further.
So what would you add or even change in today's zombie games? I wanna know all about it, I want to do something good for a change.

Thank you ;)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: What would you change in zombies games?

Post by Jackolantern »

Are you asking specifically in an FPS-type genre? There is an idea I have been kicking around for some time about a zombie RTS-esque game, but I know I am never going to make it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well yeah it will be an FPS, but possibly there can be a merge between it and your idea? I don't know :)
The essentials I'm looking at is wave-based survival, then I want to add some RPG elements like classes, active and passive skills and something more probably.

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I always loved COD World at War zombie mode. Earning exp to spend towards better weapons.
62896dude

Post by 62896dude »

I'd say more variety in the zombies themselves. Think Left for Dead 2, the zombies all have unique abilities that provide different challenges, versus a mob of "spray and pray" zombies. In other words, I like zombies that act in a more calculated way than the mindless zombies we've come to know.
Languages: C++, C#, Javascript + Angular, PHP
Programs: Webstorm 2017, Notepad++, Photoshop
Current Project: HP Destiny
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I always loved COD World at War zombie mode. Earning exp to spend towards better weapons.
I know right? I only played Black ops I and II and I was so addicted at the time, it's so simple and so addictive. You always think you can last more rounds :D
Also, those upgrades, I'm putting them in the game as well.
62896dude wrote:I'd say more variety in the zombies themselves. Think Left for Dead 2, the zombies all have unique abilities that provide different challenges, versus a mob of "spray and pray" zombies. In other words, I like zombies that act in a more calculated way than the mindless zombies we've come to know.
I hear you, I'll have to see what kind of specializations I can come up with without stealing from L4D2 and having my artistic and graphical limits in mind :roll:

Thanks for the feedback so far :D I'll keep you updated!

Return to “General Development”