Customize Android Device

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Customize Android Device

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone had any experience customizing any android device to have the OS load your splash screen then go straight to an app? For instance modify the android OS to basically make the device only play a single app and at startup
Jackolantern

Re: Customize Android Device

Post by Jackolantern »

That would be pretty tough to do on your own, as Android is an absolute beast down in the nuts and bolts of the OS.

However, I have the foggiest memory of thinking I heard of something like this before a long time ago. What I remember is it being called "kiosk mode", since traditionally a kiosk in a mall or AT&T store is where you would see something like that. For example, a tablet is set up at a kiosk and you walk up and start tapping on it to order something, see more information on a product, etc. It would be counter-productive to allow the user to leave the app or to have it reboot to the desktop, so only the one app is offered in this mode.

After Googling "Android kiosk mode", I found that there are some tools and products out there to do this. Maybe there is something open source that could do it or if not there appear to be several commercial products. Here is a Google search of it to get you started. :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Customize Android Device

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Sweet thanks!

Return to “General Development”