Text Editors

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Oroton

Text Editors

Post by Oroton »

So What Text Editors do you use,

For the last 10 years i've made ConText Editor my preference, I think it stopped getting support 5 years ago but as far as freeware applications its been great.
I've just started to use Atom and I may end up using that going forward.

Jack just intorduced me to PhpStorm as well so Plenty of new things to learn as always.
a_bertrand

Re: Text Editors

Post by a_bertrand »

I will be kicked now but.... I use Visual Studio for basically any programming. It is fine for JS / Typescript projects (actually more than fine). It's ok for Python. And it's nothing short of incredible for .NET one.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Visual Studio is definitely my no-brainer for .NET development. For PHP (which I haven't done in a long time) I use PHPStorm. For heavy client-side JS or for node, I use WebStorm. For Ruby I use RubyMine. For Elixir I use Atom and for Java I use IntelliJ. So definitely a heavy Jetbrains lean for me. I just love their IDEs. So really that is just one general purpose text editor in that list. I also have Sublime Text installed to use just to quickly view a file since most IDEs are not great about opening one file to quickly look at it.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Oroton

Post by Oroton »

Wow..
What's it cost to subscribe for that license on all those products
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Visual Studio and Brackets FTW.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Visual Studio Code is actually free even if it's by far not as good as the full version of it. With it you can certainly edit JS, HTML, CSS, LESS, Typescript, Python, C++ and .NET languages.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oroton wrote:Wow..
What's it cost to subscribe for that license on all those products
Today at maximum, it is $250 a year (and it goes down each year for the first 3 years) to a get full license to pretty much everything Jetbrains offers for an individual.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

JetBrains is great. I use PHPStorm for my development and it has a pretty decent developer base to create plugins to help your flow. I really enjoy the templating feature so I can set up a template for a Laravel class and upon creation I just fill in the blanks and the structure is completed. It has a nice git integration (don't know how it's subversion is). It has a DB explorer local or remote and FTP support. For everything it does, it feels real light weight.

Return to “General Development”