Unity MMORPG kits

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Unity MMORPG kits

Post by Jackolantern »

I am figuring some people here who have really looked around have come across these before. Some of the most popular things for sale on the Unity Asset Store are foundational game kits, and of those, one of the most popular is uMMORPG, an MMORPG "kit" for Unity. These types of kits tend to run from basic (one intermediate developer could probably roll their own of everything in the kit in a weekend) to being quite expansive (a large team may take months to get to the point where the kit starts you). uMMORPG seems pretty in-depth and seems to cover quite a bit, particularly considering its low cost of $80 (at least low-cost to most 3D MMORPG engines or kits of the past). It looks like it at least includes as much as the old MMORPG kit for Torque made by the authors of Minions of Mirth. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of that kit.

I personally have sworn off trying to make a 3D MMORPG due to the insane content-creation required which these types of kits really don't help with. But I bet they would be pretty fun to play with and possibly do some serious work with for anyone knowledgeable with Unity. Also note that there are a couple of other, competing MMORPG kits but this one seems to be the most full-featured and the most popular. There is even a MOBA kit by the same company.

So, has anyone ever looked at any of these before?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Re: Unity MMORPG kits

Post by vitinho444 »

I've only looked into FPS kits, but I always prefer doing all on my own because I control it more.

From the video of that uMMORPG it appears to be a complete MMORPG except the networking system. I believe UNET (I'm using it for my newest game) is not meant to make massive multiplayer online games, or maybe it just needs a powerful server and loads of bandwidth but I'm not sure. So, for me, that's the biggest flaw, the engine itself and it's networking system.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I have looked at and messed around with most. This is the most promising to me

http://www.atavismonline.com/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have looked at and messed around with most. This is the most promising to me

Wow, that is pretty interesting looking. I can't seem to find a link on where to buy it, though. I assume it is a commercial product. How much is it?

And to Vitinho's point, this one does seem to include the server software as well.

On a side-note, man the sheer pile of MMORPG engines and software available out there today is staggering compared to where things where 15 years ago when so many of us where hoping that Realm Crafter could become the indie MMO engine. I mean, there are real, commercial-quality engines, frameworks and servers out there that are within reach of your average person.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Jackolantern wrote:
hallsofvallhalla wrote:I have looked at and messed around with most. This is the most promising to me

Wow, that is pretty interesting looking. I can't seem to find a link on where to buy it, though. I assume it is a commercial product. How much is it?

And to Vitinho's point, this one does seem to include the server software as well.

On a side-note, man the sheer pile of MMORPG engines and software available out there today is staggering compared to where things where 15 years ago when so many of us where hoping that Realm Crafter could become the indie MMO engine. I mean, there are real, commercial-quality engines, frameworks and servers out there that are within reach of your average person.
Yeah but lets hope this evolution gets "us" (not me I don't like mmo very much) good games instead of garbage.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Hehe I remember me and Jack and so many more on the old MMORPGMaker forums having only 2 or 3 choices for engines and how hard it was back then to even get something running. When we did it was like an amazing feat! Even if it was just a crappy demo with one level, bad textures, and some copied models.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh yes those were the days! And I remember how many people thought that RC, with its BlitzBASIC-based client and non-clusterable, all-in-one server was going to allow us to create a game to rival EQ, WoW, or whatever it was we were so enamored with lol. I do have a lot of respect for the one guy who actually did get some commercial games up-and-running with it (I know one was like a sci-fi or cyberpunk game or something, maybe it had "knights" in the title?), but a lot of what people were wanting out of it were so ridiculous in hindsight.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Knights of Dream City and another one called asfaria or something that turned into a PBBG.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yes! Those were them! It blows my mind that really anyone could use RC Classic to make a game, much less an actual commercial one. And I know he got a little community going on, even though he chose one one of the worst revenue models for an indie MMORPG (pay all up-front for the client and then no monthly fee, similar to Guild Wars).
Kesstryl

Post by Kesstryl »

Just because...nostalgia never dies

http://www.realmcrafterce.com/

Return to “General Development”