HTML5 Mini Games

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

HTML5 Mini Games

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Anyone in the mood to create some HTML5 mini games. Maybe make a little contest out of it. Something simple just for fun. I can host them here,
Jackolantern

Re: HTML5 Mini Games

Post by Jackolantern »

I had been considering picking Phaser back up, probably using Typescript. Phaser's only real downside is a lack of structure, but it seems like Typescript could be a good solution for that.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I was originally going to stick with Impact BUT it could be cool if we all used the same library like phaser so we could share code. I think I will grab phaser too. I am going to play around with a physics sandbox
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Started playing with phaser. A lot of fun, made this in about 20 minutes.

http://indie-resource.com/games/physics/

hit space bar to fire, I am adding in text boxes for velocities.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Okay so I updated the physics to p2 physics and its MUCH better

http://indie-resource.com/games/p2Physics/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice!

As far as Phaser vs. Impact, I would have to choose Phaser. Impact has pretty much been rotting with little to no updates for years now. I think the author is pretty much content with what it is and with whatever money it can generate from here on out. The site has even been left alone for so long that it says you will get a license to AppMobi's GameDev XDK to convert your games to Android and iOS, but AppMobi has completely changed their business after selling the XDK to IBM. The Impact site now links to AppMobi's security solution lol. The forums are mostly dead with only a few responses to years-old threads and the games forum is filled with non-Impact spam listings. Phaser has pretty much taken over.

Again, the main drawback to Phaser is the lack of structure. There is no native module-loading system, so without adding one you either have to put everything is one script (terrible for large games) or load the scripts onto the HTML container in a specific order (also pretty bad for large projects). So the options are either use something like Babel to use ES6 modules, use RequireJS or use Typescript. For me I think Typescript is the best option since you also get C#-like classes and inheritance which is really nice.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Good points. I have been wanting to move away from Impact for some time, mainly because it is $99 and I cannot do tutorials with it as most people who watch my tutorials are looking for the free engines. Quite happy with Phaser so far. May do some tutorials on it
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Good points. I have been wanting to move away from Impact for some time, mainly because it is $99 and I cannot do tutorials with it as most people who watch my tutorials are looking for the free engines. Quite happy with Phaser so far. May do some tutorials on it
I always wanted to know more about HTML5 Engines, I'll be happy to watch those tutorials :)

PS: I didn't reply to this thread early because I have little experience of html5 engines (I'm more of a Unity guy :P ) but wish the best of luck :)
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The author of Phaser is also quite good about posting new tutorials to their News section which seems to be quite highly trafficked. If you feel adventurous (and I know you usually are), I would suggest looking into "Lazer" which is Phaser v3 (they are wanting to move away from the Phaser name because it is technically trademarked and copyrighted by Star Trek). The documentation is pretty thin but if you dive in, figure it out and make some tutorials on it they will no doubt become popular since Lazer is Phaser's future and tons of people are interested but are keeping their distance due to the lack of docs.

Return to “General Development”