Python resources

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
fang

Python resources

Post by fang »

Python resources Python.org

Python is a general-purpose high-level language. It's commonly used for web development (see web frameworks), desktop applications (see py2exe and py2app), server scripting, as an embedded language (see scripting in blender), and games (Sid Meier and Eve Online).

Python has been implemented in several VMs; CPython is the main implementation, IronPython (.NET), Jython (Java VM), and PyPy (python in python, actually quite fast). Using IronPython/Jython will allow you to use existing code from the base VM, so you can tie into Java and .NET very quickly.

The official Python docs are the best I've ever seen, so don't hesitate to check there for any python-core related questions. The search and nav could use some improvement, but the docs are usually top google search results. docs.python.org

Check out who is using python(python.org).

Tutorials Books Videos Informational Web Frameworks/Python Tools
  • Django Larger framework; fairly beginner friendly.
  • Bottle Micro-framework, single file, fast to get started
  • Pyramid Small web framework, easy to swap components
  • py2exe Make standalone windows programs from python projects
  • py2app Make standalone OSX apps from python projects
  • pip Easy python package manager
  • virtualenv Used to create isolated python environments, good for server usage and keeping different versions of packages apart
  • SQLAlchemy Most comprehensive and widely used SQL toolkit + ORM
Useful Sites Other lists Alternative Implementations of Python
  • Jython Python for the java platform
  • IronPython Python for the .NET platform
  • PyPy Python implemented in Python, very cool. Can be faster than CPython
  • Cython Middle language between C and Python, used for quickly writing lower-level CPython extensions.
  • Stackless Python CPython with microthreads, used for EVE Online
Examples More to come!
Last edited by fang on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:59 am, edited 15 times in total.
Python/PHP/Javascipt . HTML/CSS . MySQL/CouchDB . Apache/Nodejs . git/sh/ssh . Windows/MacOSX/Linux
Baseball435

Re: Python resources

Post by Baseball435 »

Cool this should probably help a lot of people!

Btw, the last bullet under books isn't a link, don't know if that was ment to be or not, just wanted to let you know.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Very nice! I had contemplated learning Python a few times, but now I have to this school semester lol. These will come in handy :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
fang

Post by fang »

Added a few links from my home work machine.

@Baseball435: Yes, I'm aware. It's not available for free, but I felt I should include it anyway.
Python/PHP/Javascipt . HTML/CSS . MySQL/CouchDB . Apache/Nodejs . git/sh/ssh . Windows/MacOSX/Linux
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Fang, does the Dive into Python 3 book assume no previous Python experience, but does assume previous OO programming experience? If so, that may be a good book for me. I just don't have the patience for a whole chapter on explaining what a variable is, and 6 chapters trying to explain what a class is and what inheritance means lol.
fang

Post by fang »

@ Jackolantern: Yes. It does have several chapters on data types which I would recommend going over briefly, but the chapter on classes is more geared towards tooling of classes and their usage in python rather than the pure concept.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome :) Sounds like I have my reference book for my class! Thank you! 8-)
fang

Post by fang »

Also, if you've got any python questions hit me up on the coding/help and support boards and I'd be happy to help. Two years of full time python work and several side projects; I should be able to help with most things. Even have a tattoo of the logo, lol.
UnknownUser

Post by UnknownUser »

python is so fun, and also the learning curve is not that long,
i highly recommend it !

here one video place that rules! - they have real good video tuts also --> is a good tut/reference site enjoy :) can post more soon to grow this thread with more resources
When a programming language is created that allows programmers to program in simple English, it will be discovered that programmers cannot speak English. ~Author Unknown
Verahta

Post by Verahta »

What is Python mainly used for? There are so many languages out there I feel lost sometimes. Right now I do HTML/CSS and some PHP/MySQL. I'm leaning towards adding javascript/ajax/jquery/HTML5 next.

Ive been dipping my feet in some free courses (close to drowning unfortunately) at the openMIT site (they use Python in the class) so now I'm curious about Python:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-e ... -lectures/
"In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion".

Return to “General Development”