TMMOKIT

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

TMMOKIT

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I have decided to help bring the TMMOKIT back or rather build a place for people to go who still mess with it or want to. Basically get all the information and files hosted again and build some video tutorials. With network speeds where they are and graphics going back retro I think it would be a fun project to revive and might bring some life back to the forums. Servers are WAAAYYY cheaper then what they were 10 years ago when we worked on it.

For those of you that do not know what the TMMOKIT is it is the Torque MMO kit. Minions of Mirth was built on it or rather the kit came from MOM. It was a very fast and somewhat easy way to get a MMO up and going.

Here are some videos from the old days of Forsaken Sanctum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvq-6fXwUT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Y-fW5hIa0
Jackolantern

Re: TMMOKIT

Post by Jackolantern »

Awesome! I never actually worked with TMMOKit much, but was always interested in checking it out.

Now I remember one of the big stumbling blocks with TMMOKit was the original Torque license. Has anything been solved on that front? I remember you following-up on that for a while and "Torque Powered" basically saying "No one wants it so we won't offer it". If there was an update after that state that I don't remember, my apologies.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Also, have you reached out to the Minions of Mirth owners? I know that, sadly, MoM shut down late last year. Maybe they would consider making some open source contributions if they know someone else will manage it. They surely created mountains of cool custom stuff and scripts over the years of running the game.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah I have stayed in contact with Randell and hope to get more info on the plans going forward. No real issues with licensing anymore.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Nice! Did Torque Powered open-source the original Torque engine?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

At this point I don't think it even matters anymore. It is so old and lost that I am not sure where it stands. The Wiki blends the two together saying it is all open source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_(game_engine)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well that is definitely good then. I do see that they explicitly open-sourced Torque 3D, which if I recall right was the follow-up engine to TGE. Even if they have not explicitly open-sourced TGE, it could definitely be classified as abandonware, considering that they have done nothing with it and it would have no real commercial viability as a standalone game engine product today.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

yeah and I don't see a large commercial game coming from TMMOKit anyways.

I have also been looking at Hero engine again. I just want to toy around with some 3d MMO stuff again. Missing it.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hero Engine definitely can do anything we would ever want. The learning curve was just ever so high on it. I remember there not being a ton of resources way back in the day when they first announced the indie license but I would assume that has gotten better over the years. What was the scripting engine for Hero again? Didn't it have its own scripting language? I never really liked those engines that did that but of course with everything else that HE does right it is hard to hold that against them that much.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah they use HSL, Hero Scripting Language. While I may never build a MMO again it would be nice to play around with it all again.

Return to “General Development”