ASCII graphics

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

ASCII graphics

Post by Jackolantern »

What is everyone's views on ASCII graphics? And I don't mean drawing pictures with them, but more along the lines of using individual ASCII characters to represent entities in the game like in Dwarf Fortress or the traditional Roguelike games.

I have been considering making a multiplayer RPG with ASCII graphics for some time. Mostly because they are super easy to work with for those without much artistic skill. And also because they have had a resurgence in popularity that seems to have made players more accepting of ASCII graphics than of games with poorly-made graphics. Has anyone else thought about this? You could actually make the game quite dynamic and even real-time. I think building it as a web app could really allow a dedicated dev to make the game less obtuse and easier to understand than the super-hardcore styles of games that graphics style is often associated with. For example, instead of having players memorize what character represented what, you could have a dynamic key in the corner of the page that updates with what each character represents. This would also prevent you from having to use one-character-per-entity which I think is often a problem in these types of games and causes stupid things like "Ice Orcs are represented by the } character". Every "orc" could be a different colored 'O' character since you could re-use that character again for something else.

Anyway, I have been kicking around this idea. I am really thinking about doing it but wanted to get some input from you guys to see what you think or if anyone else has even considered the same thing.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: ASCII graphics

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You and I are often on the same page with things like this. I have the domain asciiwars.com that I gave been wanting to create something with. I would love to see more ascii games made.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh yeah, I think I remember you mentioning that domain before! Very cool. I really may do this but I have some work commitment stuff I have to take care of first. I may be able to pick it up sometime in May. I would definitely want to create a nice game editor that allows you to create new ASCII character entities and then paint maps with it. Typing maps out is not something I would be looking forward to :P
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

As an update, I am now starting on the ASCII RPG! It will probably be a few weeks before I have any real updates with it since I will be working on an editor first.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Sweet! Anxious!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Okay, so the plan has changed a bit. I think we have talked for some time about making an "enhanced MUD" with a GUI like a modern MMO to make it more user-friendly and familiar to modern gamers. Well, I want to finally try making that idea, but I am thinking that an ASCII game world would clash very badly with a modern MMO-like GUI. But I do think written text would work very well with it. So I am officially pivoting to make the "enhanced MUD". Development starts this weekend! :ugeek:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Awesome! I am jealous. I have been slowly working on one for so long but always start then stop over and over. I agree ASCII would not fit very well unless it was some kind of new ASCII graphics that matched.

or
http://www.qqpr.com/animated-ascii-art-1052.html
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Holy crap! haha

Speaking of ASCII graphics being used in a crazy way, have you ever seen Shoot'Em before (loud music warning on the video link)? It is a 3D turret-based shooter that uses all ASCII graphics haha!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Holy poop thats awesome!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

God, I have missed this. It has been way too long since I have torn into a big project. It feels like this project is what I am meant to be doing :ugeek:

Return to “General Development”