Any Chrome extension devs here?

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.
Jackolantern

Any Chrome extension devs here?

Post by Jackolantern »

If I could wave a magic wand and add one feature to Chrome's DevTools, it would be the ability to set a breakpoint that brings up the DevTools even if they are closed. The main reason is to debug the first moments when you open a new tab. Depending on your game/app's setup, opening a link in a new tab can really cause some chaos and there is no good way to debug it. Mostly I am stuck flooding my code with console.logs which always bothers me. In many cases you can just refresh the new tab once you have opened the DevTools, but in some cases if your code does some kind of I/O, or uses local storage it may not be the same.

Has anyone ever dabbled with making extensions before? I have my suspicions that it would be some kind of security risk and you may not be allowed to open DevTools. From digging through the API docs I haven't found anything about it. But this would be so helpful in the app I am working on I would spend some serious time to make it. I bet it would be useful to others, too.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Any Chrome extension devs here?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Agreed on that! I have not. I am currently working on Google Analytics data connections extensions.

Return to “General Development”