A change to the PBBG scene

For discussions about game development that does not fit in any of the other topics.

Re: A change to the PBBG scene

Postby Jackolantern » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 pm

What we need is for someone to work out how to create a unified communications app that can combine them all the way that that one popular instant messaging app did in the late 90's/early 2000's. I can't remember the name of it, but it allowed you to connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, etc., all in the same app. Of course that would be much harder to do today as they all offer different features compared to the instant messaging apps that were all essentially the same app outside of the logo.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby KyleMassacre » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:47 am

Was it called Jabber?
My NWE Modules
KyleMassacre

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Trillian.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:24 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Trillian.

Yes! Trillian! It was a life safer for young folks in the early 2000's who had 5+ instant messaging apps to cover all of their friends. Of course those types of IM services have been completely replaced with smartphone apps and texting itself. It had actually been quite a while since I had even thought about them.
Jackolantern

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:33 pm

I use to love trillian. Was my go to app.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Postby Jackolantern » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:04 pm

It was a necessity for pretty much everyone in 2003.
Jackolantern

Postby Sharlenwar » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:01 am

And now Discord is there to replace things like Skype and what not. It works on your phone/tablet/computer and basically replaces all that IM stuff, video chat, etc. all into one platform.

But back to the original topic, any more discussion on this? I'm curious as to what you all think the PBBG scene even is? Because I don't know.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:33 am

Holy crud Sharl is back! Nice to see ya brother.

Well what I was referring to here was more of the indie scene of persistent based browser games that is played one turn at a time or rather one click at a time. While it is very much alive it is also way harder to grab players than it was even 3 years ago. Phones have ruined so much of the gaming experience IMHO. Anytime I see someone call one of those click a cookie apps a game I get sick to my stomach. Players these days want quick payoff and nothing too complicated as to not take time from their social media time.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Postby Jackolantern » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Holy crud Sharl is back! Nice to see ya brother.

Well what I was referring to here was more of the indie scene of persistent based browser games that is played one turn at a time or rather one click at a time. While it is very much alive it is also way harder to grab players than it was even 3 years ago. Phones have ruined so much of the gaming experience IMHO. Anytime I see someone call one of those click a cookie apps a game I get sick to my stomach. Players these days want quick payoff and nothing too complicated as to not take time from their social media time.

It isn't just mobile gaming. Tons of people are still logging into desktop browsers to play a game. But there is a lot more competition these days. Take a look at this page. There are over a dozen MMOs that are playable with no plugins that would have been AAA quality, desktop-installed MMOs just ten or so years ago. Ragnarok Online is supposedly working on a purely browser-based client and that was a popular, desktop-installed MMO ten years ago. WebGL and websockets have really changed things. Of course, we have these tools as well.
Jackolantern

Postby Sharlenwar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:09 pm

Yeah, so it's the typical sea of games that exists all over the place. I'm getting back into the swing of things and working with php/javascript and what not here. Reviving an old project that I was going to release to the community here. I'm going to post it once I'm done with it. But it'll be a framework for you folks to cruise through to let me know where I can improve.

But yeah, I'm glad you folks are still around. Thanks for the link Jack, I'm gonna take a look at that here. Now I understand this subject a bit better.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Blog: View Blog (2)

Previous

Return to General Development