My Game Updates

Games in development by members. Discuss testing, design, ect.. Each game has its own section
Epiales

My Game Updates

Post by Epiales »

Well, I've been here for a little while, getting great help. I love this place. I figured I'd start something where I can keep my updates and future plans.

Got a basic system up and running now.

2 type of fighting. 1 with player vs player in an arena, and 1 with the fighting of certain characters based off of mafia.

Player versus player, you can rob them for gold, or rob them for food. If you lose, you will lose some of your gold/food and they will take your loss as a gain. I have lots of plans for extra things in this area.

Player versus characters, you can fight and must have health and stamina in order to fight them. You will get different drops and fight different characters for each city that you are in.

Travelling to other cities is based on character levels. When you reach certain levels, you can move to the next city and conquer that area.

You can buy certain units to help increase attack and then buy things for those units to help with defense.

There are business you can purchase as you increase in level, and those business will produce so much gold/food per hour for you.

Must have gold to buy the gold businesses and units, and must have food to buy food businesses and the weapons that your units will use.

Created a bank with 10% deposit fees.

Have regular stores, hotels, but no weapon shops. Just the guys you can buy and then the weapons that you buy for your guys that increase atk/def.

Have started the admin section where i can add/delete users, change access levels, add/remove items from stores and change hotel information and prices.

I actually have a notepad list of 100 things that I am going to implement into the game, such as a market where you can buy/sell food, weapons, things you get when you fight, from player to player, as well as a black market where you can sell instantly, but there will be a chance of losing what you are trying to sell, as well as an entire shopping mall with different floors to buy/sell different things. The list goes on and on and on.

The game is actually playable now! But I don't want to do anything with it just as of yet. It's not the best theme layout, but I'm getting there slowly LOL. I just don't know anyone that can do custom layouts and design stuff :( This will be something that will take awhile. I have one other person helping me. They are doing the website part of it all, while I do the rest. But there are plans on a nice background scene when you battle characters and such.

Please throw in some ideas and suggestions. Too much? Too little? Anything I can make better?

Again, thanks for all the help here. You guys have been a blessing. And even if nothing ever becomes of my little adventure here, I sure do love doing this YAY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nothing fancy, but a work in progress!

http://gameplaytoday.net
MikuzA

Re: My Game Updates

Post by MikuzA »

I would suggest you building up the code without really thinking of the design or graphics part of it. But when you feel that you are getting close to the code being of 'version 1.0' level. Then concentrate on the graphics and layout design.

At this part of the game, the graphics doesn't have to be mindblowing, just add them, draw with paint/whatever something that represents the item/char/background.
Then the graphic is there and it's much more easier to change the picture to a better one, instead of spending weeks on graphics.

You are the developer, you are the master of your project, so you must have some kind of idea what things are and how they will be.

So,
when you feel comfy with code, prototype all necessary graphics that you have some kind of idea of in the back of the head.
Then start questioning on graphical tips/suggestions that you might use in your game, only pick suggestions that you feel 'Oh, wow'-about, otherwise it might haunt you until you change it back :D

oh, this is just me blabbering on again, but I hope this makes any sense :D

I would want to see your game!
Why so serious?

Business Intelligence, Data Engineering, Data Mining
PHP, HTML, JavaScript, Bash/KornShell, Python, C#, PL/SQL
MySQL, DB2, Oracle, Snowflake
Pentaho, DataStage, Matillion, Unity3D, Blender
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

Thanks... I haven't really focused much on the outline of the graphics or anything. Everytime I think I'm close to going beta, I find something else to do LOL. Always fun YAY. Anyway, here's an update of my market... It's getting there slowly...

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Have you considered aligning everything using divs?
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

Xaos wrote:Have you considered aligning everything using divs?
Yeah, I'd love to align it, but having trouble doing it Lol... What I'm working on now, but having it called from the database, I'm not very good at doing tables and divs on that.

I've been doing things like this:

Code: Select all

<tr>
            <td><?php echo $row["name"]; ?>                  </td>
            <td><?php echo $row["amount"]; ?>          </td>
			<td><?php echo $row["price"]; ?>               <A href='buyitem.php?'><font color='red'>Purchase</font></td></tr></td>
            </tr>
And there gotta be a better way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

Epiales wrote:
Xaos wrote:Have you considered aligning everything using divs?
Yeah, I'd love to align it, but having trouble doing it Lol... What I'm working on now, but having it called from the database, I'm not very good at doing tables and divs on that.

I've been doing things like this:

<tr>
            <td><?php echo $row["name"]; ?>                  </td>
            <td><?php echo $row["amount"]; ?>          </td>
			<td><?php echo $row["price"]; ?>               <A href='buyitem.php?'><font color='red'>Purchase</font></td></tr></td>
            </tr>
And there gotta be a better way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh god, tables. Just put it all into divs. Could put name, amount and price into list and then put those list in divs
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

See? I just have no luck in this area

I put this in there, but they just pile on top of one another instead of beside one another.

<div>
    <div align="center" class="float-left">Name</div>
    <div align="center" class="float-left">Amount</div>
    <div align="center" class="float-left">Price</div>
</div>
Here's my class:

.float-left {
float:left;
width:20px; 
}

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

give your divs an id.

<div id = "div1"></div> that way you can manipulate them in the CSS.

div1{
margin-left: 0px;
margin-bottom:0px;
}

(obviously don't use 0)

it will take some movement, but it'll look better adn especially once you actually start with webpages
Epiales

Post by Epiales »

Okay, I have the divs organized for the names, but when trying to line the data up, it won't let me...

Here are my div tags for the titles: Name, Amount, Price:

.float-left {
    float: left;
    width: 20px;
}

.float-center {
    margin: 0 auto ;
    width: 209px;
}

.float-right {
    width: 0px;

}
And when trying to line up the database data, here is the code:

.left {
    width: 20px;
}

.center {
    margin: 0 auto ;
    width: 209px;
}

.right {
    width: 0px;
}

.link {
    width: 400px;
}
Now on the .link class? If I move it past 400 to try and move it over so that the purchase is moved over? It goes all the way to the left on another line... So I don't quite understand why it's doing that, as the box it's all in has a width of 700px...

Told ya this stuff hates me LOL

Xaos

Post by Xaos »

What are your div ids?

Return to “Members Games”