Realms of Demuria

Games in development by members. Discuss testing, design, ect.. Each game has its own section
Sharlenwar

Realms of Demuria

Post by Sharlenwar »

A. Working name of Game
Realms of Demuria

Important Notes
  • I'm very rusty and figured this would be a good way to brush up my skills. I might be at a huge disadvantage, but I accept the challenge.
  • The site will be hosted on a server computer I have at home here, so if it happens to be down, it could be based on where I am. I live in the middle of the Rocky Mountains so to speak, so bear that in mind. Website: http://demuria.game-server.cc
  • I'm always looking at improving, so I'm open to any constructive criticism, ideas, feedback.
B. Technology behind the game.
  • php
  • mySQL
C: Story
You take a few last breaths. Feeling the air of this world in your lungs for one more brief moment. Forward lies a shimmering watery surface that you step through. Disorientation. Exhale. Inhale... the air feels "different".

"Welcome!"

The world is anew. You see the crisp blue sky, vibrant, alive. There is grass all around and you can see that this is a chance at a new start.

The game takes place in a world in the universe. The players are leaving their old world which is dying to colonize a new world that is connected with a moongate. Arriving at the starting settlement might seem like a shock, as the NPC structures and everything is very minimal. Thus it is up to the players to build up the starting town to access higher functionality.

D: Some features
  • explorable, persistent world
  • harvestable resources
  • crafting
  • shops
  • personal housing
  • quests
  • combat system
  • spells
  • player messaging
Synopsis
The game is a development style game. What I mean is everyone begins in the same settlement which surrounds the portal from the other world. The state of the settlement is as if settlers have come off the boat and have begun to dismantle it. Players will basically learn that they have to harvest resources, collect items, and fight creatures in the wilderness to build up the settlement. As they play, the town will level up and thus NPC's will appear and more features will become available. There will be quests for players to complete, to move them along, and for fun. Players will be able to level up their characters and build up their stats. There will be some crafting, so you'll have various items from equipment to useful things.

When players are strong enough, they may go out into the wilderness and found a new settlement. They will be able to allow/disallow players to visit, upgrade the settlement, even have it as a place for new players to begin. Since the game is a building game, there won't be battles between villages, as we are working together to build up the civilization. That could be an option, maybe a feature to add.
Last edited by Sharlenwar on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Sharlenwar

Re: Realms of Demuria

Post by Sharlenwar »

By the way Torax, I apologize if this seems like it is similar to your project. I assure you it is quite different. This project will flow into a different one once this one is complete. I'm building this as a game for a PC game as well which will share the same database.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torax

Post by Torax »

Sharlenwar wrote:By the way Torax, I apologize if this seems like it is similar to your project. I assure you it is quite different. This project will flow into a different one once this one is complete. I'm building this as a game for a PC game as well which will share the same database.
Don't worry about it, sounds like some good plans so far :) . The name caught my eye as well. Wish you the best and lots of motivation :mrgreen:
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

sounds very kewl! Can't wait and thanks for participating!
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Updated the entry information.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Looking very good so far! :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Progress Report #1:
I'm going to start numbering these so I can see how many I do!

Today I have got a version of XAMPP on my USB drive going, as well as a text editor, and Portable Firefox. This will allow me to develop the game while I move around. Mostly so that I can utilize the idle time at work for game development. I am also going through the Browser MMORPG Tutorial so that I can get brushed up. I will most likely start working on RoD while I'm working on the tutorial, so that I can at least keep up with some of the pros around here.

As far as today, I'm hitting this hard and for the next few hours here I'm hoping to just learn php and get to developing.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Good idea on the numbering. I am stealing that idea!
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Ideas are free, hehe.

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Progress Report #2
Okay, everything is moving along nicely. I have been following the Browser-Based MMORPG video tutorials and they have been a huge help. I'm using it to learn php and to learn how to manipulate what I need to get things working. I now fully develop using my 8GB USB drive, it has xampp, firefox, gimp, and notepad++. Everything one needs to work on a browser game. I have also ironed out my schedule, and it seems that I should be able to commit at least an hour a day for 5 days a week. Well, back to the videos so that I can get to working on the actual RoD code.

Thoughts
I feel that I'm behind, I see all of the other entries out there and thus has me worried that I won't be able to produce something substantial. I understand that the contest is about progress, but sometimes that is hard to fathom with other great competitors. Good luck everyone!

**My Corner of the Web**
Sharlenwar's Adventures

Return to “Members Games”