Warcraft

Any non development related reviews. Sites, movies, music, ect...
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Warcraft

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Wow this one could have been good but boy did they mess it up. This is why you do not let a Director of only 4 movies direct something so big. They tried to stuff 15 years worth of game knowledge into 1 movie and it just didn't work. There was too much lore and very little story. So many cliche moments I was cringing.

So yeah I hated it.
Jackolantern

Re: Warcraft

Post by Jackolantern »

I don't think this is the typical Halls hatred. The reviews of this movie have been TERRIBLE across the board. When even in the trailer you can see scenes that look corny and you can spot bad acting that is a really bad sign!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I even had high hopes for it. Hard to believe the same director directed Moon which I loved.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

You know what I heard today which is pretty interesting: This movie wasn't really made for us. Not even close. The reason why now, more than 10 years since the release of World of Warcraft and about 9 years since its peak of popularity that we would get a Warcraft movie is because the movie was always meant from the beginning to be for China. WoW only was allowed into China in the last few years and its popularity has been building there to about the same fevered pitch it was at in the US back around 2006. The movie was made with mostly Chinese investors, has scenes, characters and themes specifically designed to appeal to Chinese audiences, entire segments of the movie changed to better appeal to Chinese audiences and had many times more marketing dollars spent in China. The movie has already made more than The Force Awakens did in its entire Chinese showing. It has already made something like 5x more money in China than it did in the US.

So basically it being released here was essentially the studio saying "Ehh, why not? We already made it!" and tossing it out with minimal push knowing it was going to fail here.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Wow, literally wow. That's crazy. It does make sense though. That is also why some bands release Japanese and Chinese only tracks. They sell more in one day over there than a month or even year here.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yep, and that probably also explains the poor acting in the Warcraft movie. When they know that 99% of the viewers of the movie are going to be depending on Chinese subtitles or over-dubs to follow along, why spend the money on quality acting?

Return to “Misc”