Indie Game: The Movie

Any non development related reviews. Sites, movies, music, ect...
Xaos

Indie Game: The Movie

Post by Xaos »

I recently watched Indie Game: The Movie on Netflix, and I think it was awesome. Details the story of three games (Braid, Super Meat Boy and Fez) and what went into their development. Really gets you into the process of three of the top indie games ever and really makes you want to go out and start making!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942884/
SpiritWebb

Re: Indie Game: The Movie

Post by SpiritWebb »

I watch this movie everytime I get in a slump. It helps bring it back, and when the movie is over, I am hard back at working!! Def an uplifting movie.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

SpiritWebb wrote:I watch this movie everytime I get in a slump. It helps bring it back, and when the movie is over, I am hard back at working!! Def an uplifting movie.
Haha! Same here! It definitely gets me fired-up to make some games.

The only bad thing is that Phil Fish's later "Internet personality problems" have kind of marred the movie for many people.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Jackolantern wrote:
SpiritWebb wrote:I watch this movie everytime I get in a slump. It helps bring it back, and when the movie is over, I am hard back at working!! Def an uplifting movie.
Haha! Same here! It definitely gets me fired-up to make some games.

The only bad thing is that Phil Fish's later "Internet personality problems" have kind of marred the movie for many people.
Agreed. And I am not going to lie, at the end (SPOILER ALERT) when he buys his wife that house and cat, everything she wanted, I might have teared a little...and then that pushes me harder, lol...

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Jackolantern wrote:The only bad thing is that Phil Fish's later "Internet personality problems" have kind of marred the movie for many people.
I find that interesting. Because look at Markus Persson and his recent deal with Microsoft. There definitely has to have some sort of notoriety effect after selling off your baby. There are people out there that support his decision, and others who abhor the decision. People are very interesting creatures and people just need to get all the facts before imposing judgement.

For me I would like to see more of the "personality problems" and maybe some successes?
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The thing is, I don't really even agree with the hate of Phil Fish. But the hate is based on things he said online. Personally telling his fans on Twitter to "f#&$ off", and saying at a conference that the Japanese "make terrible games", among many other cringe-worthy things. I just think he was a young, stressed-out guy who didn't have that filter that is required when dealing directly with the public.
Xaos

Post by Xaos »

I think Phil Fish is a perfect reason to not go in it alone. He had a partner that screwed him, but the added stress of doing everything by himself, handling PR and working the stuff with the legal side killed him personally, during dev and afterwards. Support systems are huge.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Definitely. Also, I believe some people just aren't meant to be that public-facing person. You have to have the restraint to stop typing, get up and away from the computer and cool down when something makes you mad. The old "wait 24 hours before writing back" rule of professionalism. Some people just can't do that and want to blast their anger right back, which is hardly ever a good decision.

Return to “Misc”