Lucy

Any non development related reviews. Sites, movies, music, ect...
vitinho444

Lucy

Post by vitinho444 »

I've watched this a long time ago but forgot to add the review here.

Ok, the movie is good, but I'm no movie critic so Opinion may vary. If you are watching it as a sci-fi movie, then I think there's no much to question, the plot is good imho, I see no "flaws". But if you really think the movie is "possible" then you're in for a let down.
I believe the whole story about we using 10% of our brains or wtv, is a myth, I believe we use it in full capacity but not at the same time ofc. Or else why would we have it? To use cranian space? Nah, nature doesn't use space just because.

Scarllet Johanson's acting... I believe you can question it, since.. you know... she is maybe the most sexy/beautiful girl on the planet, but I believe her and Morgan Freeman role are well interpreted.

Overall I think this was one good movie and I don't even imagine a sequel since I don't believe there is much more to "show".
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Re: Lucy

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, the 10% of the brain thing would really bug me, since you are right that it is a myth. 10% of our brain is used the most, but everything has a use.

We came close to going and seeing this because we really wanted to go see a movie, and this was really the only thing out at that time. But we decided we didn't want to go that badly and skipped it :P
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

actually our body is full of things it doesnt use or rather need. Tonsils for one, appendix for two. If you eat right you do not even need two kidneys. I can easily see the large sections of the brain not being used. It is much like having 16 gigs of ram. Most of it will sit unused. Maybe one day we will use it when the need arrives.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:actually our body is full of things it doesnt use or rather need. Tonsils for one, appendix for two. If you eat right you do not even need two kidneys. I can easily see the large sections of the brain not being used. It is much like having 16 gigs of ram. Most of it will sit unused. Maybe one day we will use it when the need arrives.
Well... true that... But if our brain developed through years (sorry religious people) why develop something that is not used? I would accept that the appendix was there when we used it, then we stopped using it so it just kinda stood there, but the brain kept developing, and still is i believe (in some people :lol: ).

Jackolantern wrote:Yeah, the 10% of the brain thing would really bug me, since you are right that it is a myth. 10% of our brain is used the most, but everything has a use.

We came close to going and seeing this because we really wanted to go see a movie, and this was really the only thing out at that time. But we decided we didn't want to go that badly and skipped it :P

I was in the EXACT SAME SITUATION as you were, but I couldn't hold it to see the hype behind it, and I don't believe it was time wasted.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Yeah, it's like trying to have a computer use 100% of itself all the time - it just doesn't work out.

The 10% thing is really just a genre convention for talking about transhumanism and presumably how transhumans might abandon various parts of our morality (I've not seen the movie, only promo clips. Like one where she shoots a taxi driver simply because he can't speak english)
Sim

Post by Sim »

""Evidence would show over a day you use 100 percent of the brain," says John Henley, a neurologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ir-brains/
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

And Indians use all the buffalo - just not all at once.
Sim

Post by Sim »

Callan S. wrote:And Indians use all the buffalo - just not all at once.

says who?
oRPG Creator - Make Your Own Browser Game
oRPG Creator on Facebook
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

Sim wrote:
Callan S. wrote:And Indians use all the buffalo - just not all at once.

says who?
Time.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

There is no truth in history.. don't believe me? Prove it. You can't. No one to ask. Writings and books you say? Okay then let me give you a Science book from the 50's and I want you to believe everything in there. Like stars are shiny rocks that reflect the sun. Also if the hobbit was written in 800bc and found in a cave who would say it was real or fiction? Some professor somewhere. So we are saying humans never error? The first Battery was made over 2,000 years ago. Pyramids were not tombs.
The Old-Kingdom stone pyramids were never actually ‘real’ tombs. The so-called tombic theory was only invented in the 19th C. to replace the earlier even more fanciful theories such as a repository of sacred measurements of the Earth, or Biblical Joseph’s storehouse for grain.

The fundamental problem is that no ‘body’ or royal mummy has ever been found in a pyramid. None! Actually none of the Old Kingdom Pharaohs has ever been found, anywhere.
Hum that's funny because text books still say they are.

Point is I do not believe scientists even know what they are talking about when it comes the brain. We run with the first theory someone says and make it so until a better one comes along and even then spend 20 years debating on the best answer. They recently found a metal rail in a piece of charcoal from over 10,000 years ago.

What does that tell us? Either carbon dating is crap or we have metal and science over 10,000 years ago. I believe vitinho hit the nail on the head. Why develop something we would not use. I think ages ago we did use more of our brain than we do now.

Of course we cannot even cure the common cold so I am suppose to believe scientists know how much our brain we use. Bah!

Return to “Misc”