WebStorm JS

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

WebStorm JS

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

So this weekend I had real chance to use it. Must say I am sorely disappointed. I loaded 2 js files and WebStorm was taking 400 meg ram! It ran sooooo slow, the project creation garbage is sooo annoying. I just want to open a file! I do not need your silly project stuff. Yes I know you can just open a file but it is a real pain.

I honestly have never seen IDE run so slow. It was insane. I have a quad core with 24 gigs of ram and it felt like a 486 with 4 megs of ram. Could have been an issue with the installation, not sure but I will say when you first open the program it just sits there scanning files for some time. The editor itself is a pain to use, missing scroll buttons and such.

Installed Aptana on my Mac and not bad so far.
a_bertrand

Re: WebStorm JS

Post by a_bertrand »

never had such issue and I work daily with it... and not small files either.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I will try it on another PC. Could be bad install.
Ark

Post by Ark »

That's the same experience I had while opening a single js file. The project system on sublime text is great and its optional.
Orgullo Catracho
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, that is definitely not the experience I have had. It is weird that using 400mb of RAM would cause any real issue on your computer, as 400mb is not an unusual number for a major IDE to use (VS, Eclipse, Netbeans and Aptana all use similar numbers today).

I kind of understand with the single-file thing. There is a good reason for WS's heavy project-focus, and that is code completion. Because JS has no built-in file scope beyond scripts being linked to a page at runtime, if the files weren't somehow linked together, the IDE could not determine what to bring into scope. In languages like .NET, you reference assemblies to let the IDE and runtime know at compile time of what is needed, and that is one part of how Intellisense works so well (even though VS has also been turning more project-based with each release, and doesn't particularly like to open single files). But in WS, if you have your HTML page that links in JS files (or you are using RequireJS), it knows at code time what needs to be in scope.

There is a work-around if you really just want to work on single files at a time, and that is to create a "Misc" project that you can open, and add any single files you need to it. You can simply remove them from the project when you are done with them, and bring in any other JS files that will be linked to the page to help out with the code completion.

I will say that the project dialogs could be more clear in WS. It took me a couple of days to get the hang of them, which involves, among other things, skipping the server and port setup if you are working in node. That is more for dedicated server development, like with PHP. But now I am pretty confident with it, and can easily set up any kind of project I need (and use projects for pretty much all of my development these days).
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Development Related”