PHPStorm 6 (PHP IDE)

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
Jackolantern

PHPStorm 6 (PHP IDE)

Post by Jackolantern »

So after making the decision to come back to PHP after my adventures into ASP.NET MVC and discovering Entity Framework was not to my liking, I decided to try to wipe the slate clean by learning a new framework or two and choosing a new IDE. I had never quite found my IDE for PHP, and always found myself making compromises. Either it was working with otherwise good IDEs with bugs (CodeLobster), working with overly-complex IDEs that didn't offer enough features to compensate for said complexity (Eclipse PDT), or IDEs that had a brilliant feature or two but lacked other arguably more important features (PHPDesigner).

I decided to give PHPStorm another try after getting a trial a long time back and barely using it, and have to say I am loving it! Setting up a debugger was simple and works great, the code completion is some of the best I have ever used for PHP, it has a nice, flexible project system, integrates with code repos, can be set to work with any framework within seconds with excellent framework-related code hinting (a great feature if you are using a slightly off-the-beaten path framework such as FuelPHP or Laravel), (and I know it is shallow, but) the "Darcula" appearance theme is just sexy and very easy on the eyes, and more.

It is not free, but the price is more than worth it. It is $99 for a personal license, $29 if you are a student and can even be free for verified open source projects. I have tried almost every PHP IDE at this point, and I really think I could settle into this one for the long haul. I can say pretty certainly that this is at the very least one of the best PHP IDEs available, if not the very best. Check out the trial if you routinely write PHP and see if you like it! I most definitely did! :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Elvar

Re: PHPStorm 6 (PHP IDE)

Post by Elvar »

PHPStorm is imo by far the best IDE for PHP, and if i wasn't a emacs guy, i would probably swear to it. I bought it at their doomsday offer, for no money at all :D!
Chris

Post by Chris »

They also have really good extensions for Node.js on JetBrains. And ReSharper is the best Visual Studio plugin I've ever had.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, ReSharper is great! :)
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Jetbrain do offer loads of good stuff. I have a lot of their tools (resharper, dottrace and more). Never saw this PHP editor, I'm still using Zend Studio for the little PHP needs I still have, and I doubt I will move as anyhow PHP is not anymore my main tool.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
clod

Post by clod »

I prefer Codelobster PHP Edition
It is much easy and free
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

I admit I am not as big of a fan of PHPStorm simply because there are so many other options for PHP, many of which are free.

But for Javascript, if you want half-decent code completion, node debugging built-in, node project templates, etc., your choice is basically WebStorm. Nothing else comes close.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Not even visual Studio?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Not even visual Studio?
Visual Studio is not that great with Javascript. They have been trying to bring it up to a better level with 2012, and I haven't seen 2013 (which will probably end up being VS2014), but it has a long way to go. It is good for the actual JS-powered .NET projects, such as JS Windows 8 Store Apps, but not good for node or general-purpose JS files.

WebStorm beats it hands-down in my opinion. I was very disappointed with VS for JS files.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

I need to pickup webstorm then.

Return to “Development Related”