Ouya

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
Zak Zillion

Ouya

Post by Zak Zillion »

Everyone needs to check this out. As far as I can tell this is going to revolutionize the consol gaming industry. Especially since it is built on the android platform. Seriously. Go check it out. Here :)
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

Old Project(s):
The Dark Flame
Foofighter

Re: Ouya

Post by Foofighter »

sounds very interesting, we will see if they make it
Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Something like this already is out there. Check out Pandora... http://openpandora.org/

But if this is a console for the TV, then that would be interesting. Might be able to tinker with Pandora to have it work with the TV.
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The Pandora seems pretty different. That seems more like a portable Linux box. This appears to be a console built on top of Android.

It could be interesting. I envy the 200 developers who bought the $699 developer pack. It says that your game will be featured for a year, and you can look at the Kickstarter numbers and see that there are already over 20,000 of these consoles sold. I am assuming that $699 is probably guaranteed to be made back provided you create a good title lol. If you can bring together the large app stores of mobile devices and the willingness to spend lots of money of current game console users, it could be something spectacular.

I just wonder, though, if the money they have gotten (even $2M over their goal) is going to be enough. If I remember right, someone got some numbers from Sony back in the 90's on how much it cost them to meaningfully enter the console market, and it cost them over $200 million in the mid-90's. Having such a small budget basically means that this company is going to have to work off of mail-order (probably no in-store sales) and word-of-mouth.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

But being made with android is a down unless big companies start to develop android versions for this console like Call of duty for wii or something...

I cant wait to buy one and start developing games for it :D This can be a way so people can start going indie and not big companies xD

@Edit, i sended an email to them, asking for the SDK's and some information for developers, they replied saying that buying the console is all we need to start making games :P
Can't wait to get one.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Elvar

Post by Elvar »

Would have love to see such project, with a destributed Linux, and a dev kit. Android and Java, is just a bit, meeeh..
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Will have to follow this, hopefully they make it! Will help us indie's ALOT, at least based on their video anyway

vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Well they got fully funded.. so they should begin shipping in 2013 :)

I cant wait to start developing for android.. i'm already watching videos tutorials
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Return to “Development Related”