Anyone Have A Review On This Ebook?

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
Baseball435

Anyone Have A Review On This Ebook?

Post by Baseball435 »

So I was searching the internet on java and found this Ebook which was written by O'Reilly Media which Im sure you've heard of before because they have written a lot of Ebooks and iPhone Applications. But anyways, the link to the book is: www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596007300this and the name of it is, "Killer Game Programming In Java. The book looks pretty good from the chapters and I am interested in it. So if any of you have any reviews and could let me know how it is, that would be great.

~baseball435
Last edited by Baseball435 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xaleph

Re: Anyone Have A Review On This Ebook?

Post by Xaleph »

O`Reilly is good most of the time, so I don`t think it will be a bad purchase. The only downside with O`Reilly is that they don`t go in tooo deep in on the matter they teach. But then again, you hardly ever need to know how the mechanics work.

Anyway, i have no experience with the book, but from previous experiences with O`Reilly programming books, I think it`ll be a good read.

Publishers mean a lot in programming books, my personal favourite is Pearson, followed by O`Reilly. They cover any and all subjects in regard to programming, unlike the proprietary publishers for either Microsoft, Apple or what have you ( Oracle? ).
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

Ohh okay, yeah I actually found the Ebook as a pdf online (was on a website) and it is REALLY helpful even though I feel guilty for not buying it :/
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

This book is kinda-sorta the previous edition of Pro Java 3D Game Development. There is a lot of overlap between the two, but the 2nd is more centered on 3D than the first book. I believe the first book is considered to be fairly out of date, but I have only heard this.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

You can never go wrong with O'Reilly, I learned everything I know about HTML 5, Javascript, jQuery, and CSS3. I know this isn't a web development book but still, these books are quite high quality and expansive on the subject you are reading upon. Now this is my opinion and how I see it(not going to be what other people think I guarantee just like Xaleph said before that they don't go too deep into the matter) I say go with it(if you haven't gotten it already :P)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, in my experience, O'Reilly, like pretty much every other publisher, makes its fair share of missteps. If this was the late 90's/early 2000's, I would say you can always put your money on O'Reilly. But now that the tech book industry has expanded so much and so fast, I think publishers are under immense pressure to get books out on new or revised topics very quickly, which can cause them to publish some authors they really have no reason to support. I have read my fair share of bad O'Reilly books. One publisher who seems to be making some great books right now is Friends of Ed, which is I think a division of Apress.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Development Related”