3D Game Programming For Teens[Book]

All development related reviews. Engines, Tutorials, books, ect.
Baseball435

3D Game Programming For Teens[Book]

Post by Baseball435 »

Well my dad wanted to stop at Borders on Sunday and I told him I wanted to look for a few books. So while looking around i came across two books (packaged together). The name of the book, 3D Game Programming For Teens and Game Programming For Teens, caught my eye because well im a teen and i have always wanted to create my own 3D game. So after reading the back of the book package it gives me information on the authors Maneesh Sethi and Eric Grebler and that this book is on the programming language used in Blitz3D. The book Game Programming For Teens was also a internation best seller so i knew that this was a good book to learn from.

The books were $50 and well worth it as they had over 500 pages in both books and they required little to no experience in any programming. There is 14 chapters in it an i think im on chapter 7 and on page 257. The book really teaches everything and explains everything great and ive already started making my own game.

Some of you might know that Blitz3D is a program that you have to buy. Well another great part of this book is it comes with a CD that gives all of the source code for all of the chapters and it also gives you a 30 day trial for Blitz3D and 3 other programs used to create textures, pictures, and 3D models. So this book is really great and really worth it and i suggest anyone that is looking into 3D games gets this book!

3D Game Programming For Teens: http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programming- ... 223&sr=8-2

Game Programming For Teens: http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Teens ... 223&sr=8-4
Jackolantern

Re: 3D Game Programming For Teens[Book]

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks for the review! I hope you don't have the same problems that the other Amazon users had with the 3D Game Programming book. It seems that some of the source code may have been directly carried over from an earlier edition of the book that is incompatible with the currently-available version of Blitz3D, and the only two reviewers for the book both say that they found code that would not compile at all (with "unknown function" errors, which are common with using outdated syntax in a newer compiler in any language). Considering all the high praise for the first book, I certainly hope that is not the case, and it is just a couple of rival authors trying to mess with his sales (as is known to happen from time-to-time on Amazon).
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Baseball435

Post by Baseball435 »

well i didnt buy it from amazon. I got it from Borders and i have had no problems with it. I just gave you the amazon link so you guys can get information on the book. Other then that i have had no problems
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

The potential issue doesn't have anything to do with coming from Amazon or not. I was only commenting on the 3D Game Programming for Teens' 1-star rating on Amazon. I unfortunately got a book a few years back that had an issue like the ones the reviewers are referring to. It was one of the older editions of "Learn C++ in 24 Hours (Sam Publishing)". All of the code examples were lifted nearly page-for-page from "Learn C++ in 21 Days", so the code did not follow what was being learned in the text (it started using features not introduced until later in the book, or not at all in the 24-hour book).

Even if there are some outdated function calls or something like that in the 3D book, I would think the reader could either get errata on the author's site, or get the newer construct from the Blitz website itself.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Development Related”