Beginner Scripting Tutorial

got scripts? Need scripts?
firedingo

Beginner Scripting Tutorial

Post by firedingo »

So I've been looking at a lot of different game engines and tutorials lately. I've found that unity is the best one for me and I've found some great tutorials that go over the UI and a other features of the engine. I know to do some great stuff I'm going to have to get into scripting but as a beginner I have no idea which tutorial is good for a beginner when it comes scripting.

So can anybody help please?

Thanks,
Naomi
Jackolantern

Re: Beginner Scripting Tutorial

Post by Jackolantern »

If you are a total beginner to programming, I would suggest to read some basic, non-Unity programming tutorials. There are thousands all over the Internet, and it is just a matter of trying a few out to see which works best for you.

If you are familiar with programming concepts, then I am afraid you will have to wait for some of our resident Unity users to come and offer up some of their tutorial stashes ;)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I can work on putting some tutorials together, just need to know what kind people are wanting, and I will see what I can do.

alexrules01

Post by alexrules01 »

I've been watching Eteeski tutorials on youtube. I didn't watch the first few vids (before the FPS 1 tutorial videos) but I believe he goes over the basics of programming, or at least the basics of UnityScript. His videos are loner than most, but he explains pretty much every line of code which can be helpful (but after half an hour, can be forgotten easy ha).
So look out for him. But others I have seen are Tornado Twins, Walker Brothers even the Unity site has some tutorials. There are plenty out there I've found, finding the best is the hardest part. :)
firedingo

Post by firedingo »

Thanks. I've done general non-unity programming before. I understand all the concepts but because I've done so many different languages in different subjects while I've been studying I haven't become really good at any of them. Though I think I'm leaning towards Java and C++ as my pick of languages.
alexrules01

Post by alexrules01 »

Not sure how Java/C++ works with Unity, I assume theres some way you can code in those languages. But the most common language (with the most resources/tutorials) is Javascript, or more commonly known as UnityScript. The main other language is C#, not as many resources but you should be able to find stuff their aswell.
Callan S.

Post by Callan S. »

I found this quite helpful: http://walkerboystudio.com/html/unity_t ... ree__.html

Look at the unity lab projects on the right side of the page.
Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

i agreee, eteeski has the best tutorials on youtube. he has all the code written down at the start of the video, he goes over what it all does, then goes in a writes it in unity real time, and basically explains it twice. he really is the best out there for learning unityscript

If you want to use C#, i suggest BurgZergArcade

Return to “Scripting/Coding”