new to unity

got scripts? Need scripts?
darspire

new to unity

Post by darspire »

hey everyone. i know i've been gone for a while, but i was just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to make some tutorials on how to script unity such as NPC quest giver script, how to make a UI with health/mana, etc.. i'm just getting started with unity and i'm going to college january to study game design and i like to be ahead of the game. would anyone be able to make some tutorials like that?
if you love something, let it go.
if it doesnt return.....hunt it down and kill it.
vitinho444

Re: new to unity

Post by vitinho444 »

Hehe, i cant help you directly.
But i learned everything i know from here: www.google.com

Just kidding. Well, it helped, but check this website, it has the most complete Unity tutorial i've ever seen.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_videonav.php?fid=808bf515c69066eb13df7952c0d54711
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

darspire

Post by darspire »

okay. so it will help me start with the blank gray screen and turn it into a game? im not looking for anything fancyy. and since my break from indie-resource, ive become very familiar with javascript. the only thing i cant do is create models. but if i wanted to get in to that, how long would it take to create one 3d body?
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

It can be very difficult to get to the point of making usable models from no experience at all. Although I admit I didn't try extremely hard, I never got there lol. Honestly, you would probably be better off using a free or pay model for now.

My personal opinion is you should focus on one thing at a time, and maybe just on one thing long term. People either tend to be better programmers or better artists. There are a few exceptions who can do both very well (I wish I was one), but they are very few and far between. I would just download a free model and use it as an example while learning Unity. It will take long enough to get extremely proficient with it. That is just my two cents, so take it for what its worth :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
darspire

Post by darspire »

ok. well do you know of any website where i can download models for free? i'm gonna start college very soon and i dont have the money to buy tons of models. i would just like some basic ones.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

The Unity Asset store is rich in that matter, i use all my models from there or google sketchup
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Open Game Art is where I typically would look first (but then again am not familiar with the Unity Store), and you can also mine Turbosquid for free models, although most of them are commercial. However, Turbosquid has literally millions of assets on it, so even a small percent of free stuff would be a huge amount. It just takes a while to look through it all.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

Youtube is your friend. although i hope to be good enough soon to post some tutorial here soon, and get some people who do things other then browser games!(Nothing against browser games :P )
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

darspire wrote:hey everyone. i know i've been gone for a while, but i was just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to make some tutorials on how to script unity such as NPC quest giver script, how to make a UI with health/mana, etc.. i'm just getting started with unity and i'm going to college january to study game design and i like to be ahead of the game. would anyone be able to make some tutorials like that?
I wrote a tutorial on how to make a UI with health for Unity some time ago for a contest. Will have to find it and edit this post, unless someone finds it before I do.

Shihonoryu

Post by Shihonoryu »

SpiritWebb wrote:
darspire wrote:hey everyone. i know i've been gone for a while, but i was just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to make some tutorials on how to script unity such as NPC quest giver script, how to make a UI with health/mana, etc.. i'm just getting started with unity and i'm going to college january to study game design and i like to be ahead of the game. would anyone be able to make some tutorials like that?
I wrote a tutorial on how to make a UI with health for Unity some time ago for a contest. Will have to find it and edit this post, unless someone finds it before I do.

we need to do a dual commentary tutorial! :o!

Return to “Scripting/Coding”