Unity Section

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Unity Section

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

You asked for it so here it is! Since most of us here are using it or at least trying it I figured we might as well have a spot for it :)

Unity3d is free now
http://unity3d.com/
Sakar

Re: Unity Section

Post by Sakar »

Actually, it's just called Unity, not Unity3d ;) They made the URL Unity3d.com because unity.com was already taken.

Nice to have the section though!
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

thanks for the info, i will change
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I have it at home, and I started playing with it last night...and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to work the thing. I figured out how to create a terrain and "paint" the world. But I cannot figure out how to place textures down, objects, etc. Blah, need help...

Got so frustrated I wanted to throw the laptop out the window...lol...

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

hehe have you read through the tutorials? The way i place textures is i minimize my unity window to halfscreen or so then I open up my computer and browse to the texture i want. I then drag the texture over to the unity editor to the folder. This auto adds the texture to your project. I then take and drag the texture to the 3d view of unity to the object i want to texture.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

I will try that then. Just for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to place the trees down, the foliage, etc. I think I might have figured that part out, but couldn't get the textures to work. Thanks Halls, I will try that later tonight.

towcar

Post by towcar »

I love how you can make massive forests in a few click, that feature just blew me away.
Yea Try and work through the tutorials as much as you can, you'll learn so much!
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Well I figured out how to put the FP view down and was able to control the view, but when I put it down, no matter where I set it, the "camera" keeps dropping half-way under the ground. So its like a horizontal split screen. Scene up top, black on bottom. I also figured out how to set the skybox.

I still cannot figure out how to set the textures for the water, land; set the trees, bushes, grass, etc...grrrr...

Falken

Post by Falken »

A quick question, can unity compile programs so you don't need to run it in the browser or need the unity player?
--- Game Database ---
For all your game information needs!
Visit us at: http://www.gamedatabase.eu today!
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Yes, Unity can do both Standalone games for PC, Mac, Wii & iPhone (Wii & iphone have been removed from the free version). It can also do browser based using the Unity plug-in.

Return to “General Unity”