Stay away from 3dbuzz.com

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
PrestigeMG

Stay away from 3dbuzz.com

Post by PrestigeMG »

LMAO One of my friends who is following the 3dbuzz mmo development class just sent me a message, he asked me why nelson the person teaching said class would look something up in the unity scripting reference and say that none of them are functions, and how he hates unity and so forth, and then asked me why I had recommended the classes to him in the first place.

In all honesty, doing so was a mistake, infact even taking any of the classes myself was a mistake.

Do not take me wrong however their older classes were fairly well done and i learned alot from them. But since several of the employees left the company, things went to hell in a hand basket fairly quickly. 3dbuzz has apparently reached its peak and its prime and then passed them by. Hopefully they will read this and actually give some thought to some serious changes in how they handle teaching, customer relations and satisfaction, and whom they have working for them and what precisely it is that they are teaching. You should never hear your teacher tell you how much they hate the thing they are teaching you about. among other things...

To me i find this astounding that someone teaching a class on unity is so ignorant of unity itself to make such a moronic statement. So just incase he is reading this HOPEFULLY he will be a little but more educated in what he tells students in the future.

Unity calls them overridable FUNCTIONS because unity does not use ONLY C#, in fact its more commonly used and popular scripting language is JAVASCRIPT in which methods are called FUNCTIONS! I can empathize with the guy who asked me the question with such astonishment. I followed the old mmo classes and found them to be mostly fluff and a waste of time the instructors seemed to enjoy the sounds of their own voices more than they taught anything. The dumbed the classes down to the state of ignorance and turned a highly advanced class into a c# 101 class over explaining the most basic of concepts and not explaining at all the more advanced topics. On top of that most of the code in the original classes was buggy and not even production ready code. Repeatedly throughout the classes you are faced with writing hundreds of lines of code and then trashing every single line of it and rewriting it like 6 times.

And the new classes you have to take twice because the instructor sits down fires up the webinar and codes as if hes sitting by himself just coding at the speed of light, there is again over explanation of basic concepts but none on the more advanced topics.

However in my experience with the first 3 classes before i left 3dbuzz he seemed to enjoy badmouthing the very thing he is teaching others about constantly complaining about how they name their FUNCTIONS and other things.

I have to say that since some of their founding staff members left 3dbuzz has gone downhill in massive ways they treat their paying customers like utter trash. Their once fabulous classes are now turning into a joke, where you sit and listen to them bs about how horrible this or that is, write lousy code, joke around with their friends, go on and on and on for 10-30 minutes at a time about the most mundane and stupid shit on earth. It is my belief that this is merely a way to continue milking their paying subscribers for everything they can, after all if you spend an hour of a 2 hour class bs'ing instead of actually teaching then the classes take longer thus requiring people to pay the membership fee longer...

I STRONGLY Dissuade anyone from using 3dBuzz.com as a learning tool in any way shape or form for anything other than their freely available classes and tutorials( Which sadly were made by older staff members who have since left(One can only wonder why although i have some suspicions)) To pay for a member sponsorship would be a complete and total waste of your money. And if you are a newcomer you are treated like total trash beneath their feet if you are not in the "in clique" and absolutely stay out of their IRC the mods and actual employees show preferential treatment to an absolute fault allowing people to and engaging in attacks against others, profanity, and then going as far as to kick new members or ban them when they have enough of the treatment.

There was a time when I would recommend 3dbuzz to everyone who asked me questions about unity or asked where was a good place to learn how to use it. Now i do my utmost to dissuade them from wasting their time effort and money on a company that has no appreciation for their paying customers anymore, barely teaches anything because they are too busy playing around durring the time they are supposed to be teaching. or are so in love with the sound of their own voices they go on and on and on about idiotic BS.

Truly it saddens me what the company and site has turned into, and disgusts me the way they treat their paying customers with such blatant disregard and immaturity, and complete and utter nonprofessional conduct that I cannot even begin to describe it..
vitinho444

Re: Stay away from 3dbuzz.com

Post by vitinho444 »

Wow that was something.. Still didn't understand what you mean by : "look something up in the unity scripting reference and say that none of them are functions"

I followed the MMO tutorials too, they thought me some things ofc. And i think he explains good..
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

PrestigeMG

Post by PrestigeMG »

He looked up the OnDestroy function and then spent 5 minutes complaining about how much he hates unity and how they name their methods and how they are not functions at all but methods. Which is retardation because any developer worth their weight in salt knows that in javascript methods are called functions infact in most other programming languages from vb to php they are called functions. C# is different. However Lee alone( And yes while i was taking the classes and getting more and more frustrated with it not because of the code or level of it( most of it was crap i already knew) but because I timed him and he would go on 15-30 minute tangents about this or that which was already explained in the intro videos, or go on and on about this or that for as much time, or BS with jason for 10 minutes + about nothing to do with the class at all. Ontop of that he would code for 30 or 40 straight videos and then in the next video delete all the code and make a new project and rewrite it all,

Nelson however is a plain douchebag on all fronts these days. he not only allows irc moderators to openly attack members, then ban or kick them, but condones them doing so openly and then punnishes people quite severely who speak out about it.

Do not take me wrong the earlier tutorials they released were awesome. and the free ones still available will teach people ALOT. The new ones are a joke, when you are paying money for classes you want the classes to be classes not bs sessions where you listen to people whine or complain about the very software they should be teaching you. You dont want to waste 30 40 50 hours of your time coding something that is just going to get deleted later and completely rewritten when the guy teaching the class already knows its going to be deleted.

You dont want to have to take the class 2 or three times just to be able to read the code because the person teaching the class is typing so fast that you cant even keep up with READING it. And you certainly do not want your instructor to sit there and tell you how much he hates unity for this reason and that reason when that is what the class is on.

Now Zak was an AWESOME teacher. I learned more in one set of tutorials that he did than i learned in all 7 chapters of the first mmo development classes, and the 3 two hour long new mmo classes i watched.

It is so bad that even my wife has looked me in the eye after listening to the 15-30 minute tirades about absolutely nothing and asked me why in the hell i would PAY for these classes. leaving out the fact that almost all of what they were showing i was one already working on, two already know, and three can do better myself. I wasnt paying for a class on how to make a terrain system i was paying for a class to learn how to code an mmorpg. I was paying for classes to code an mmorpg and even now the class has nothing to do with an mmorpg it is only a small scale multiplayer game now called runeslinger.

Like i said They used to be an awesome company and now they are turning into a joke, part of the problem is overextending themselves they are doing tons of classes all at the same time and not a one of the subjects is getting adequate attention. And they threw out the hundreds of hours of work and classes for the original mmo class. You dont take on an mmorpg unless you can focus on it entirely it is so massive of a project that even developing one well takes all your team's attention for years on end. And if you are TEACHING people how to do it? yeah you focus on that.

Their classes now are just slapped together and seriously how they actually treat the customers now is the major issue, i recommended to several people to get a member sponsorship. Each and every one of them aside from 1 less than 2 weeks later demanded a refund simply due to how they were treated by 3dbuzz staff members. One has even gone so far as to file a lawsuit against the company due to how the staff members treated her.

I am now giving everyone i know and all the comunities i frequent a headsup on what kind of people they are doing business with when they deal with 3dbuzz.

When Zak left and others left Nelson took over it seems like and is destroying the company, when you are a paying customer you expect to be treated with respect and courtesy by the people you pay. It is bad business to allow your employees to openly attack new customers in public, use profanity against them, harrass or intimidate them. All of the people i mentioned who demanded a refund all attempted to contact Jason and other staff members to resolve their situations and they were met with silence and further harrassment and personal attacks via the chat system and so forth, including emails and the like.

So im just giving people a heads up on what the company is turning into lately....
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

Yeah, i see your point, didnt know it because i only saw the first tutorials and free ones..
But it's stupid i know..
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

PrestigeMG

Post by PrestigeMG »

OMG I am dumbfounded lol same vid my buddy was talking about nelson sounded like a babbling idiot in, For anyone taking the new MMO class which is really a basic multiplayer class... OMG RUN save your 35 bucks a month. All the code youve been writing in the last videos you will endup deleting. Nelson made himself a total moron in this exerpt i just got sent. I got no words to describe it.

So my buddy tried sticking with the classes he really did and hes a highly experienced c# Developer. I quit the classes weeks ago personally cause i just couldnt stand it anymore lol...

So Mike hits me up on skype and lets me hear whats going on and for 27 minutes nelson started babbling like a complete moron rips out an entire monobehaviour script the network manager and makes it a static class yet tries using the update start and on application quit monobehaviour methods. Before that he made just a retarted implementation of instancing it instead of just instancing the class. Then ripped out the lobby and login systems after just putting them together all the while babbling on and on and even going as far as to start stuttering and thoroughly sounding like a jibbering village idiot. I couldnt believe my ears I mean these people are supposed to be teaching and they are doing this crap in the most directionless convoluted way i have ever seen. I mean literally its like they are just live on camera throwing code at the thing and hoping it works. And the insane part is they CHARGE people for these classes.

I wouldnt really say anything normally except i have taught before. I know how its done and how its supposed to be done. And the only thing that my poor dumbfounded brain can come up with is that they arent even trying to make quality stuff any more and are just creating filler content so that people keep paying the fee. I mean think about it they have hundreds and hundreds of monthly subscribers at 35 bucks a month. and you say your doing an MMORPG Class your going to get tons more because of all the people out there that want to make one.

But the quality level is so atrocious now that it is just unbelievable. I literally could not believe my ears. If i had not taken the first class in this round of mmo classes, and knew nelsons voice i would have thought mike was just messing with me and playing a joke. Poor Mike was screaming at the screen and then got off the skype call to not email them or anything hes fricken calling them and demanding his money back lol its horrible... I wish i had recorded it so i could link it here and everyone could here the stammering stuttering villiage idiot who is supposed to be teaching people. THEN he went on about hating unity some more lol.

Why on gods green earth would someone fricken teach a class on unity if they HATE unity???

And anyone here can ask hallsofvallhalla I SWORE by 3dbuzz in the past i learned so much from their earlier tutorials. They were awesome. Them giving nelson more to do and more power in the company was probably the worst thing they could have ever possibly done.

I swear its like he doesnt even prepare or hasnt actually written the code and made sure it actually works BEFORE he tells people to write it... I just wow lol

EDIT:

Oh and one last thing. To put into perspective just how bad 3dbuzz is now... REALMCRAFTER / Solstar Games treats their customers better
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, that is sad. But honestly, I don't expect a lot from most of these on-going subscription-based tutorial sites. Most of them are garbage, except a rare few (such as Pluralsight, but that is not game related, and centers mostly on .NET). Most of them seem content just to stretch out releases just to keep people subscribed. That is one thing I have always liked about Pluralsight, is that a video series is not released until it is done. So day 1, the first, last and every video in between are posted.

I looked at 3DBuzz a while back when I heard they were making an MMO tutorial series. I simply looked through the video descriptions and thought it was largely fluff, and figured it would be years at that pace before anything resembling an MMO was made from it.

And as far as writing code that just gets deleted, that is really lame and just shows poor management. When making a video tutorial site, you really need to have completed, working software first, and then you can break it down into the videos. Writing on-the-fly causes just that problem, where you realize you have to completely rewrite something. That happens all the time while coding, but that is a totally different thing if people are paying to watch videos of you doing it. And if you can't write a full, working MMORPG first before making a video tutorial series, why are you in charge of making an MMO tutorial video series? lol
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Unity”