Hailan Rising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
tboxx

Hailan Rising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

Post by tboxx »

Hailan Rising is in open beta now. Just played it last night. Its built Unity with custom networking. When I asked them if they used smartfox or photon they said they built a custom solution. Game looks very hobby project. Devs are friendly and community is nice.
Last edited by tboxx on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reliique

Re: Hailan Raising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

Post by Reliique »

Rising not Raising :)
Seems like Unity is good choice for MMO.
tboxx

Re: Hailan Raising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

Post by tboxx »

Reliique wrote:Rising not Raising :)
Seems like Unity is good choice for MMO.

Thanks for the typo fix. Actually, its a bad rep for unity mmo. The artwork is not so great and their spell effects are not that great either. Could just be their custom networking.
PrestigeMG

Re: Hailan Rising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

Post by PrestigeMG »

Ill have to take a look ill bet i could even tell you where the artwork came from. I doubt they did custom networking however, although the easiest way to tell is to figure out how long it took them to develop the project as the networking and serialization is the most complex piece of any mmo. If it took them a short time then they used something prebuilt and customized it to suit their needs.
Jackolantern

Re: Hailan Rising MMO built in Unity with custom networking

Post by Jackolantern »

It would be sad if the artwork for the game ends up hurting Unity's reputation as an MMORPG platform, considering that the models have nothing to do with its MMO capabilities lol.

As far as servers, I would assume they likely used one of the existing MMO servers like Photon, Smartfox or Redbedlam. Almost all of these types of servers heavily cater to both Unity and Flash (support for those two is basically required, it seems), and starting from scratch doesn't make a lot of sense.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “General Unity”