Importing assets [SOLVED]

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
Torniquet

Importing assets [SOLVED]

Post by Torniquet »

I have had a similar issue when it comes to modeling...

I have box modelled a gun in blender, made sure my normals were all recalculated and even solidified it.

Why am I posting this in Unity? Because no matter what I try, Unity keeps wrecking the model, which you can see here...
Capture123.PNG
Capture124.PNG
Its not the whole gun either, its just the bit shown in the SS. The barrel and slide are modelled separately. the bits that are deformed are not following any edges or anything I have modelled as the entire thing is made of quads and have remodelled it twice both with the same outcome.

Does Unity have some sort of vendetta against guns? or am I being completely retarded at somepoint?

If anyone has any idea of whats going on... please tell me :( its starting to get REALLY annoying!

Oh and it doesn't accually import that way either... it is after a period of like 30 second it all goes to shit
Last edited by Torniquet on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
Chris

Re: Importing assets

Post by Chris »

Doesn't just happen by magic, a model is nothing more than a huge 3d matrix, it shouldn't change no matter what format or compression. Could it possibly be the decoder? Have you tried exporting on different formats?
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

That was exported as fbx

After much playing about and trying to find issues on the google machine, I imported it as an obj. Same problem. Then I started playing about with some of the fbx importer options (on the obj file). Turned the normalization option to calculate rather than import and reduced the shading (or smoothing maybe) slider right down to 0. Finally Success!

Tried the same thing on the fbx. No change.

So yea...

I would understand it being my model IF the slide and barrel had done the same thing, not to mention my character... but they all work fine, so this kinda leaves me stumped
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Unity has always had import issues especially with animations. This seems like a shading or a smoothing issue here though. Some triangles look inverted. Might want to try to export the model then import it into another program or import it back into Blender from the FBX and see what it looks like.
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

I imported the obj and it looks fine but you cant import fbx. I am looking for a script which will do it, but no luck so far lol
Last Known Hero

Post by Last Known Hero »

I've had a similar issue before. I don't use blender tho, but I'm sure it has similar features. I had to 'Unify Normals' to fix it. Maybe it'll help for you too.
Power3DArt

-Current Project: Fault [Pre-Alpha]
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

nope no good :(

I am really starting to get annoyed at this. Unity converts all the quads to tris and its inverting some of the tris, shifting verts about or somethign.

If you look on the first picture, you can see where the trigger should be, its pulling faces towards it. the trigger doesn't exist on the model, so there is nothing there.

At a complete loss on this and cant find squat on the internet!
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

You could try posting in the Unity forums or Unity answers to see if anyone has had this problem before. The only time I had it was to many triangles and it ruined the model. All mine are imported from blender using .FBX

Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

Well ill be damned!

FU AMD catalyst control!

I started playing sims and noticed that i was getting the same thing happening... :idea:

The only thing I have done in recent days is install the AMD catalyst control manager thing.

Uninstalled that... Sims works fine... Oh and look... MY DAMN MODELS ARE FINE ASWELL!!

*big sigh*

Thanks anyway guys lol xxx

Return to “General Unity”