Some speed

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Some speed

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Thought this was funny as I was redownloading Unity...1.7 megs a second.

Jackolantern

Re: Some speed

Post by Jackolantern »

-patiently awaits the European members to come laugh at us- :roll:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Foofighter

Post by Foofighter »

Jackolantern wrote:-patiently awaits the European members to come laugh at us- :roll:
dont get it, is the internet so bad in the USA?
Chromeozone

Post by Chromeozone »

LOL 1.7? Thats flippin terrible xD, How is the US connection so shit?

Regards
European Member with very good Download speed.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Chromeozone wrote:LOL 1.7? Thats flippin terrible xD, How is the US connection so stinky bottom putty?

Regards
European Member with very good Download speed.
Two reasons, really: Because the US had the internet first, a lot of the real infrastructure that is still being used today is woefully old. And second, which ties into the first reason, because of the massive size and distributed nature of the USA, changing out all of that woefully old crap technology is prohibitively expensive. It isn't so hard or expensive to wire a ~150k square kilometer country with fiber optic lines, but it is a totally different story to wire a ~10 million square kilometer country lol. The geographic way the US is laid out, its size and the dispersal of the people basically means that we won't see even a majority of US citizens having fiber optic lines in my life time. So for broadband here, that just leaves the lines of communication that were already here: namely, phone lines (DSL) and cable lines (cable), neither of which can hold a candle to fiber optics :cry:
foofighter wrote:dont get it, is the internet so bad in the USA?
European countries such as Sweden, Spain, the UK (I believe), and many other Western European countries routinely get 50 megabytes per second for the same cost as we pay for about 2 megabytes per second :cry: :cry: (although it is my understanding it can vary wildly from country to country the exact speeds and what people pay, mostly depending on government involvement).
Torniquet

Post by Torniquet »

SOME of the UK has a very good speed yes, but other parts can suffer pretty bad. Not everyone has access to 50mg dl speed, and even if they do youll be lucky to take full advantage of it :(

Our biggest internet provider can be as secure as a 1 legged man doing star jumps, especially when they upgrade things.
New Site Coming Soon! Stay tuned :D
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Frankly it does not matter how fast you are at home. The server you are connecting to has to be fast as well. We have fiber 50meg here in the us and I still don't see downloads run more than a meg. That connection I was on was a DS3 which is capable of much more. That was Unity's servers capping it and I doubt even in Europe is it going to be faster unless it is a Europe to Europe connection.

Also running lines across a European country is like running lines across the state I live in. One of the last road trips I took was 1,500 miles. Took around 25 hours of driving. Now imagine that where you live. Going one direction for 25 hours at around 70 miles and hour. Now imagine running Fiber for that distance!
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah, that is another problem of fiber connections in the US. Unless you are accessing fiber along the whole route (often unlikely), you are going to be capped at a more cable-like speed. If someone lives in a basically completely fiber-laid country (such as Sweden), when they access servers in their own country they will get those insane speeds, but if they access something in the States, or in a non-fiber European country or elsewhere, it will often be slower.
Chris

Post by Chris »

This is considered shit here. And don't worry! I canceled it.
Fighting for peace is declaring war on war. If you want peace be peaceful.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

3 megs! Nice! Once you get into the root of Telecom and data lines you learn how much is really happening when 3.3 megs a second of transferring is happening.

Return to “General Unity”