MMO server suggestions?

General Discussion on the Unity Engine.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

MMO server suggestions?

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

There are a few to pick from. Any suggestions? Which one is easy to implement? Not too worried about a cap as if I reach a cap I can then purchase more. I am mainly looking for ease of use.
SpiritWebb

Re: MMO server suggestions?

Post by SpiritWebb »

I messed with SmartFoxServer Pro. I was going to try with SFS2, but was unsure how to get it too work. From what I remember, SFS is programmed in XML. There is a networking tutorial using SFS online. If I can remember where I found it, I will post it for you.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

XML is a data representation mark-up language. Programs cannot be made with it. I believe Smart Fox is made in Java, like pretty much every other commercial server application.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Photon seems pretty nice and easy. 100 ccu for free license.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Java...my fault. I was a rush when I put that...my bad.

I heard good about Photon, never messed with it though.

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, Photon looks neat. Nice that it is in C# (for certain developers at least), but kind of pain that it is always locked to Windows servers (they cost more).

I could not find anything about the source code, though. Is it completely closed source?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

nope, has source available in download. Easy to implement so far also. Of course I haven't gotten very far yet :)
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

They have a tutorial for integrating Photon with Unity's demo project I believe... haven't tried it out but plan to.
xcalpro

Post by xcalpro »

Don't know if this is still relevant, but I tinkered with Photon last year and was able to get it working with the Unity Boot Camp multiplayer demo. Photon is a very easy to user MMO server and this was when it was version 2 when I used it. They have since come out with version 3 which appears to be even easier to implement.

Anyway this site has some nice tutorials on getting Unity to run with Photon. http://www.cjrgaming.com/ it was very helpful in learning how Photon works.
Skills: HTML5, JavaScript, PHP, SQL, Python, BASIC, HeroEngine(HSL), AGS(Lua), Unity, Photon, 3D Max, Mudbox, Photoshop, Poser, Flash
"Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none"
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Wow, those are some nice tutorials there! I wonder why I never seem to find that stuff when searching for it! 8-)

Return to “General Unity”