It's been a while... but I'm back.

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
Torax

It's been a while... but I'm back.

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jackolantern

Re: It's been a while... but I'm back.

Post by Jackolantern »

Hey! I remember you. Welcome back! Glad to see you are still developing and sound like you are having a lot of success.

It has slowed down a bit here, but we still have people for discussions. I think part of it is the overall decrease in interest in PBBGs, since that is really what we were focused on for years. There are still a lot of people here interested in PBBGs and there are some nice engines, including some created by our own Allen Bertrand.

Glad to have you back! Kind of interestingly, we have had a few people suddenly resurface around here lately from years past. It is very good to see the universe is pulling us back together :D
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Torax

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Torax

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Welcome back! The design so far from what I can tell looks pretty awesome. Anxious to see more!
Torax

Post by Torax »

Last edited by Torax on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Torax wrote:It is sad to see the decline in interest around web-based games in general. But I honestly think it is a lack of keeping up-to-date with the latest immerging technologies and actual support for mobile devices.
Actually, web-based games are still quite popular. But PBBGs occurred during a special time. There were individuals (such as members here, and many more) as well as million-dollar publishers making games of similar production quality. The playing field was even. This sparked a lot of interest on the part of amateur developers. Flash was really capable of operating an MMO from about 2004 on or so, but that was always kind of separate. Large companies were investing in PBBGs that used the same images, buttons, postbacks and jQuery that everyone else could work with.

Now the Web has advanced. This is of course a good thing, but as a side-effect of having things like Web Sockets, WebGL, Canvas and 100x faster JS engines is that the browser game industry has quickly evolved past PBBGs and web MMOs are now starting to look like desktop MMOs from maybe around 10+ years ago. Take a look at Titans of Time. If you don't want to create an account, here is a YouTube video of someone checking it out. It looks at least like Dark of Camelot quality, and this is using pure WebGL and native Web technology.

While this is amazing, it also leaves a lot of lone wolf, small team and amateur developers in the dust. I think a lot of the PBBG-playing community have changed to these more technologically-advanced games.

I think this is really one of the reasons why traditional PBBGs are not having as easy of a time as they used to. While we cannot realistically make a fully 3D MMORPG like that, we can use these same advancements to enhance text-based PBBGs and give them a deeper feel than any 3D MMO could hope to achieve. There are still tons of players interested in text-based or lo-fi gaming in general.

Also nice looking images! Can't wait to see more!
Torax

Post by Torax »

Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Sounds very cool! Can't wait to see more of it :)
Torax

Post by Torax »

Return to “Say Hello”