Hello everyone!

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
ryfizzle

Hello everyone!

Post by ryfizzle »

Hello My name is Ryan
i live in australia , 22 years old , um...anything else feel free to ask.
I have just joined this forum to learn more about game development
i have a diplomia in web development
not really sure if it counts as transferable skills because perhaps its used in a diffrent way.
Jackolantern

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome! :)

And it depends on what kind of game development you want to do how applicable web development skills are. You have the foundation covered (general programming skills). It could be extremely transferable if you want to do web game development, and really browser games are hotter now than ever with some PBBGs actually competing to be the most popular MMORPGs in the world. If you want to make more traditional animated games and know Javascript, that is a great combination. JS has become extremely popular in the last few years as the quality of JS game wrappers for mobile devices has increased exponentially. With wrappers like CocoonJS, Android and iPhone users are playing HTML5 games everyday from their app stores without even knowing it. Phaser is a great, open source HTML5 (really Javascript) game engine that works well with CocoonJS for porting to mobile app stores.

And since your Phaser game is just regular JS, it makes them very easy to integrate with Node.js and Socket.io for multiplayer if you want to make traditional multiplayer games in the browser. This forum's founder, Hallsofvallhalla is considering making a tutorial about multiplayer Phaser + Node + Socket.io game development.

Definitely hang around and ask any questions you may have, or let me know if you want to know any more about what I have mentioned here :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr
SpiritWebb

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by SpiritWebb »

Welcome, glad to have you!!!

Return to “Say Hello”