new introduction

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
heimrahl

new introduction

Post by heimrahl »

Hey there to everyone reading this, thought id finnaly post something and make contact with the people here.
I've been browsing tutorials for the last month or so, realy helped me finally get the project started ive been throwing around in my head for a while now.
The dream is to make a more modern version of the text based muds I used to play in high school, try to capture what made them so enjoyable and immersive multiplayer and RP wise and try to recreate it with 2d graphics using canvas and javascript.
Im probobly overly optimistic at this point, but it all seems to be going well so far, just teaching myself as i go but hopefully i'll have something stable and impressive enough to show off in the near future.
Anyway so thats what drew me here, also just like to say thanks to halls and everyone else thats helped with the tutorials and the site in general, cheers and keep up the good work.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: new introduction

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

welcome and if you create it I will play for sure. Anything inspired by the old muds sounds awesome
Jackolantern

Re: new introduction

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome! I also fondly remember MUDs and was even working on one until I realized I had made some extremely serious architectural problems (it was my very first Node.js project and I did not use modules correctly and made the data hopelessly coupled). Anyway, Socket.io and node are more than capable of doing anything like that. I was able to get my project to a point where players could interact with other players, ignore them, complete quests, pick up items, move around, build the game world in-game, etc. in about 4 weeks of dedicated work. And that was with 0 experience with node (just experience with other languages like C#, PHP, etc.). :)
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Say Hello”