Hello

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
Darius

Hello

Post by Darius »

Hello,

I'm a 21 year old Dynamics Ax developer from Belgium.
When I was 15, I developed a keen interest in websites and I learned HTML, CSS and a little JS. This also motivated me to study computer science at uni.
Here I learned application and web development with Java, C#, ASP.NET, Spring, JSF. In my spare time I studied Java networking closer.
Ten months ago I graduated and started as an Dynamics Ax developer (an ERP package from Microsoft)... so my web developed skills have been put a side for a while already.

Lately I've been having some spare time and I found Hallsofvallhalla's tutorial on Youtube. I figured I could try and make some games with JavaScript(/JQuery). It has been a while since I've worked with it. So yesterday I started developing a tower defense game. It near finished (75%)... I know it doesn't look like much :p. I've always been found back-end work (the engine, networking, security) more interesting then front-end. And this was just to get used to JavaScript once again :).

My ultimate goal would be to create a game like "Civilization" (http://www.civilization5.com/) or castle story (http://www.sauropodstudio.com/) but then web based. (Perhaps in a Game of thrones theme as I'm currently hooked to it.)

preview of the tower defense game:

Kr,
a_bertrand

Re: Hello

Post by a_bertrand »

Hi and welcome on this forum. Just as info, I would personally not choose jquery for this kind of work and instead either pick one of the existing JS game engine, or yet better code it yourself using Canvas. JQuery doesn't support Canvas, and even if there is some extensions which do it for you, you will not really need them. Why? Because the Canvas API is shared across IE9+, Chrome and Firefox and therefore you don't need any abstraction. Plain JS will do the trick.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome to the forums! I would also have to agree with Bertrand, except that I am a bit more pro-engine hehe. But game making in the browser is definitely better done with canvas these days than in the DOM. :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
latex_op

Post by latex_op »

Welcome to the forums :D
Darius

Post by Darius »

Thanks for the welcome :).

I'll look into the Canvas element.

Return to “Say Hello”