New kid on the block

New to the site? Place a post here and let us know about you and what brings you to the site. T
Renavoid

New kid on the block

Post by Renavoid »

Hey guys. I am a mid-level web developer who has dabbled in game design over the years. I felt it was time to really start getting into a community of game developers, so here I am! I have been trying to decide on what game engines would work for the ideas I have in mind, and forum threads kept popping up here from my searches. In addition, it looked like the questions, answers, ideas, and suggestions were high quality and legitimate. Thus, I decided this would be a great place to start planting some roots.

A bit about me:

I go by Ren.
I am a .NET web developer, but I also have experience with Java, Python, and C++/C.
I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science with an emphasis on game design.
I am most interested in fantasy MMORPGs, with mild interest in Steampunk and Scifi. No modern stuff for me, though.
I love anime-style artwork.
I am big on the idea of community - most of my game ideas revolve around getting players to work together.

I look forward to getting to know this community, and hopefully make some games!
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
Jackolantern

Re: New kid on the block

Post by Jackolantern »

Welcome! Sounds like you are in the right place :)

I am actually just getting into ASP.NET MVC, mostly inspired by the coming of SignalR for Socket.io-style real-time web development, but also because I love the way it is setup. I enjoyed using ASP.NET Web Forms for the years I used it, but it just shows too much age now and is untestable and custom client-side unfriendly. We have a few other .NET heads here, and the site owner, Hallsofvallhalla, is getting into it as well for his job.

I am also working on a bachelor degree in Computer Science emphasizing software engineering :) (erased a paragraph-long rant on the fact that I am having to learn assembly right now, since I realized it was exactly that lol) :cool:
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

haha you never know when that aasembly will come in handy/

Welcome!
Renavoid

Post by Renavoid »

Thanks! I'm similar. I loved using ASP.NET Web Forms (and will still use it to quickly mock out a simple website when there's a time-crunch), but there is no denying the power of ASP.NET MVC with Entity Framework (especially if you combine it with Code First!). Good luck with assembly. I blocked that part of my college career out of my memory banks forever!
The winds of change are blowing; will you heed their call?
srachit

Post by srachit »

Welcome to the forums Ren! Hope to get to know you better :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Haha! I am already planning on doing the same lol. I can't wait.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Reliique

Post by Reliique »

Welcome!
I am most interested in fantasy MMORPGs, with mild interest in Steampunk and Scifi.
Good preferences :)

Return to “Say Hello”