Facebook Malware SCAM

Keep it clean but fun.

Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby vitinho444 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:25 am

Hi guys, just a heads up to you all that Facebook is doing a scam to some of its users.

A few days ago I was blocked from accessing my account on facebook due to "my computer being infected with malware", and I could spread that malware over facebook and all that. Little did I know that I was actually being shown an ultimatum, download (and run) our "super awesome malware scanner" or say goodbye to your account.
I have to say, I felt pretty bad, what kind of company that acts in its user interests does such a thing? Such violation of privacy is outrageous!

I really need facebook, which I mainly use for messenger now, so I ran the damn thing. It "scans" your computer by saving on a temp folder data from your browsers (was the least I could find but there could be more), so this tool, is meant for the sole purpose of spying. I've seen screenshots of it happening ON LINUX users even.

So, be careful, if they do this to you, there are some steps that people say can help unblock your account without running that spy tool:
The following methods are independent:

1- Clear cookies and cache (tried, didn't work)
2- Wait up to 3 days (72h)
3- Change browser (people say this is the best method)
4- Change chrome profile
5- Incognito mode

Hopefully it doesn't happen to you guys, this is ridiculous. It's a shame that everyone says bad about facebook and how it's dying and all, but if someone says "here's a solution", nobody gives a sh*t.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Skype: vpegas1234
User avatar
vitinho444
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am
Location: Portugal
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby Gunner » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:06 am

Are you sure it's actually facebook? My best guess is that it's something else and tricks you into thinking that its legit from FB officially.
Skype: mrvictordiaz
User avatar
Gunner
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:07 pm
Location: hogwarts
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby vitinho444 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Gunner wrote:Are you sure it's actually facebook? My best guess is that it's something else and tricks you into thinking that its legit from FB officially.


It is facebook yes, checked SSL cert and the forums before actually downloading anything. It's a partnership between them and "security" companies like Norton and others. You can check this: http://www.techydad.com/2013/02/the-facebook-mcafee-lockout/

It's sad.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Skype: vpegas1234
User avatar
vitinho444
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am
Location: Portugal
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:03 pm

wow, I will definitely leave facebook if they try that crap on me.
User avatar
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11946
Images: 13
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 pm
Location: mobile, al
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 158 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby Jackolantern » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 pm

I have not seen that. It definitely doesn't sound like them and I would assume this is some sort of scam by a third party. I know you saw the cert, and wow...I don't know how to fake that. But I feel that would have been huge, international news immediately if Facebook tried something like that.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
User avatar
Jackolantern
 
Posts: 10889
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 92 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby vitinho444 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:01 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:wow, I will definitely leave facebook if they try that crap on me.


I wish I could, I fell so outraged but I can't.. I use it constantly to message people for both work and personal use, if there was another thing where I have everyone, I would take it.

Jackolantern wrote:I have not seen that. It definitely doesn't sound like them and I would assume this is some sort of scam by a third party. I know you saw the cert, and wow...I don't know how to fake that. But I feel that would have been huge, international news immediately if Facebook tried something like that.

I don't think so because the actual site shows you the progress of the scan, the 2FA code was correct and the content was shown as the progress was being done. It is impossible in my view to "hack" this.

I still can't believe it...

Check this: https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook ... 305685766/
And this: https://www.facebook.com/help/community ... 0905321731
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Skype: vpegas1234
User avatar
vitinho444
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am
Location: Portugal
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:30 pm

That first link appears to just be a company blog posting of someone on their team trying to hock their software. I honestly have no clue what the second is.

I really don't know, man. All I know is that myself and everyone I know are all using Facebook the same way we always have, with no hints of anything like this.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
User avatar
Jackolantern
 
Posts: 10889
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 92 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby vitinho444 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 am

Jackolantern wrote:That first link appears to just be a company blog posting of someone on their team trying to hock their software. I honestly have no clue what the second is.

I really don't know, man. All I know is that myself and everyone I know are all using Facebook the same way we always have, with no hints of anything like this.


The first one is actually facebook-security blog post.. not some 3rd party company. Also the second is just a user showing what happens when the system "blocks you".
This started 4-5 years ago and will probably continue/get worst. So.. yeah. Why can't some company create a freaking social network with no intention to steal/sell data, put some adverts here and there and that's it. Like literally the slogan should be "We don't give a F*CK about your data, literally." Ofc, this doesn't mean they don't care about it being stored safely, which needs to happen, but i meant in the sense of selling it for better ad control and all that.

Also, I'm getting really upset on facebook's super cookies.. I can't search anything on the web (product related) without a freaking ad popping up on my feed showing me the same item. Like, yeah I get it, I searched for it in that exact same store.. don't need to shove on my face that you are spying on me jeez.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Skype: vpegas1234
User avatar
vitinho444
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am
Location: Portugal
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby Jackolantern » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Sorry, by "company" I meant Facebook.

vitinho444 wrote:Why can't some company create a freaking social network with no intention to steal/sell data, put some adverts here and there and that's it. Like literally the slogan should be "We don't give a F*CK about your data, literally."


Because there would be no money in that. Social networks make their money off of ads. But just seeing ads doesn't pay enough. They have to show ads you may actually click on, and they use your social network data to try to figure out what that is. A social network did actually try to make a "no personal data used" policy called Ello. They claimed they would have no ads and would not collect personal data. Instead they planned on selling special features and options, kind of like social network DLC. For a few weeks articles were being written that it may be a "Facebook killer", but the hype fizzled out pretty quickly. Now they have tried to pivot and brand themselves as a creator's network but it isn't working well.

It will be really hard for anybody to dethrone Facebook as the world's general social network. If not even Google could do it with Google+, you know it is hard to do. The reason is because a social network's value is in how many people it has. Facebook has almost everyone. A start-up general-purpose social network will feel like a ghost town compared to FB. New users will try name after name trying to find people they know and give up. This is what happened to Ello and countless others.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
User avatar
Jackolantern
 
Posts: 10889
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 92 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Facebook Malware SCAM

Postby vitinho444 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 am

Jackolantern wrote:Because there would be no money in that. Social networks make their money off of ads. But just seeing ads doesn't pay enough. They have to show ads you may actually click on, and they use your social network data to try to figure out what that is. A social network did actually try to make a "no personal data used" policy called Ello. They claimed they would have no ads and would not collect personal data. Instead they planned on selling special features and options, kind of like social network DLC. For a few weeks articles were being written that it may be a "Facebook killer", but the hype fizzled out pretty quickly. Now they have tried to pivot and brand themselves as a creator's network but it isn't working well.

It will be really hard for anybody to dethrone Facebook as the world's general social network. If not even Google could do it with Google+, you know it is hard to do. The reason is because a social network's value is in how many people it has. Facebook has almost everyone. A start-up general-purpose social network will feel like a ghost town compared to FB. New users will try name after name trying to find people they know and give up. This is what happened to Ello and countless others.


True.. but maybe with this new "javascript mining", that could change :)
I know it's hard because of the "everyone I know is here" and even if 1 changes, the others won't follow. It's kind of hard to know that Facebook has the majority of control, so they can pull these stunts and get away with it. Sad.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

Skype: vpegas1234
User avatar
vitinho444
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:54 am
Location: Portugal
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

x