hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

RPG Maker bundle

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Jackolantern

Re: RPG Maker bundle

Post by Jackolantern »

Thanks for the share!

Hmm...kind of surprised about the price of that top tier ($50). I would probably only want it for a cheap copy of RPG Maker MV but since there is only a snowball's chance in hell I would ever use it, I think I will have to pass.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Yeah I didnt get the top tier. For $15 though the graphics alone are worth it even if you do not use them for RPG maker.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Yeah I didnt get the top tier. For $15 though the graphics alone are worth it even if you do not use them for RPG maker.
Do keep in mind that the RPG Maker company has gotten much more strict with their graphic pack licenses. Any pack sold through the RPG Maker site is licensed only for use in RPG Maker-made games. You are a bit better off if the graphic pack is also sold by the author through other sites (such as the "Time Fantasy" pack), but if it isn't, technically you can't use it outside of RPG Maker.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

As long as the graphics are sold in another market RPG maker cannot hold you to that "rule". Remember the indie humble bundle is sold through them and given via steam. There is no such agreement on either site nor can such an agreement bind you. I agree they have that agreement on their website and i am almost 100% positive you cannot be held to that agreement when these packs are sold all over the place.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Well, I don't know if you could really get in any trouble for it if they are sold on other sites. If anyone tried to send you anything, you could just say you got it somewhere else. And I don't think they would even try if they did not have an exclusive license. But....technically you are held to the license you bought it under. So if they told you by getting it through them (and even if you get it from Steam, you are still getting it from them; Steam doesn't offer their own licenses on games, the existing ones just pass through), technically you would be held to it even if paying $1 more on another site for the same pack could get a more permissive license.

But like I said, they would be out of their mind to try to come after someone for something like that. :lol:

It does irritate me a bit, though, because they started off saying you could use any pack for anything you wanted to use it for (and by the way, if you bought anything under those terms and you have a copy of the terms you purchased it under and proof of when you bought it, you are still under those terms). Then they had a separate page where they would charge an extra few bucks to allow non-RPGMaker usage. Now they bar it all together for every pack they have exclusive distribution for. Not that I really ever had faith of...what is the company actually called? Interbrain or something like that (I have just been calling them "the RPG Maker company")?...actually supporting the indie game development community beyond hocking their goods, but it is sad to see them becoming more indie RPG hostile. There are a ton of people out there who would buy their asset packs but never use RPG Maker. I am one of them.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

What I mean is I never received a license stating I can only use them for RPG maker. I never actually went to the RPG maker site, Both Indie-Humble bundle and steam did not show such warning nor can I find a license on them. They cannot hold me to an agreement I never accepted.

I agree though. The company behind RPG maker has always had a bad wrap about the way they treat their community and the licenses they stuck people with. It use to be real bad back in the RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 days.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Hmm, well if they never included a license or had you agree to one that would be a slip-up on their part. However, technically by not including one that actually means that all rights are reserved, even for usage in RPG Maker. Of course you could make a persuasive argument that a situation like that is against the spirit of the offer and it comes with an implied usage in RPG Maker.

Either way, for something so public as a game, I would not suggest using anything that they have exclusive distribution on.

And now that you mention that, I think I do remember that. Didn't they used to have some kind of horrific license on any commercial games you made with it back then?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Way back in the day they did.
I would say anyone would be safe with a small project on using them how u want. No large commercial project would use them anyways.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

True. I guess I just don't want devs to be in a position where they have to worry about how big they get. Today the boundary between hobbyist and large, commercial games is blurring. For example, Urban Dead. People can say what they want, but this is a pretty big game today, with oftentimes hundreds of thousands of players logged in at a time. It also comes from an extremely hobbyist project, very likely made in someone's bedroom by one person. So you never know where something may go.

I always just suggest to never use anything you don't have the license to. This isn't like downloading movies or anything like that. It would be more like downloading movies on a projection TV in the middle of Central Park during lunch hour. Visible, public projects can be very risky, even if you don't take any income, unless you have all your asset licenses sorted-out.

Return to “Off-Topic”