Happy Birthday OldRod!

Keep it clean but fun.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Happy Birthday OldRod!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Just wanted to say Happy Bday to a long time member. Is it just you, Jack, and I that are here that go back to the old MMORPGMaker forums?
OldRod

Re: Happy Birthday OldRod!

Post by OldRod »

Thanks!! :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Happy birthday!

Yeah, I think it is just us that go back to that forum. Do either of you remember around what year MMORPGMaker went down?
The indelible lord of tl;dr
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

Thanks, Jack!

No, I have no idea, but it's been a while.

On a somewhat related note... I just saw yesterday that Minions of Mirth has finally shut down. That was the MMO that spawned the Torque MMO Kit. I had no idea it was still running, but apparently a hard drive went bad and their backup wasn't reliable, so it's shut down now :(

http://massivelyop.com/2017/09/28/after ... he-sunset/

I remember doing some dev work on one of the zones in that game when Josh and Lara were running it. Fun times :)
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Oh man, that is extremely sad. I never knew them personally but I know they funded the game by maxing-out credit cards to get the art assets made (this was of course way before Kickstarter to those unfamiliar with the timeframe, which if I remember right, was probably around 2004 or so). I could understand if the game lost enough players to feasible to keep it running but losing it due to a hardware failure and a poor backup strategy is just heartbreaking. I know they put their lives into it. Hopefully over the years they made enough to pay off all those maxed cards.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

2014, I have been trying to buy the domain but some stupid company wants stupid amounts of money for it. I told them it has been dead for almost 4 years, you can't value it at what it was worth when it was live.

That does suck about MOM though. Wonder if they would let fans put it back up. You could use the kit and all the material is in the single player version.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

Yeah I hate stupid domain squatters. The whole idea behind them is that since someone had the domain and it expired, that means either the original owner or someone else may want it as well. So they pay their couple of bucks a year to keep thousands of domains and if just a small handful end up being sold for thousands of dollars, it is profitable. You can try to haggle with them and offer them a couple hundred dollars or something like that and sometimes they will take it even if they were asking $5,000+ if domains have been selling badly and they are desperate. But it sounds like you have already talked to them.

As for MoM, it would still probably be a big undertaking. Maybe try getting in touch with them to make sure it was okay, and who knows? Maybe they still even have all of the binaries, assets and whatnot. Maybe they consider the game "lost" because the user database was lost. Could be worth reaching out.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Thats what I was wondering as editing MOM is super easy and we all have experience with the MOM kit even though we probably forgot most of it. haha.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I just reached out to Randel from Prairie games to see if there is a possibility to use MOM for your own public server.

They want $22k for mmorpgmaker. I laughed at them.
OldRod

Post by OldRod »

$22K? LOL!!

Return to “Off-Topic”