Happy Birthday OldRod!

Keep it clean but fun.

Re: Happy Birthday OldRod!

Postby Jackolantern » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:47 pm

$22k?!?! That is ridiculous even by domain squatter standers. The usual gouge is around $4k for any domain with more than 10 letters in it, more than one word or one that doesn't have some built-in marketing ability by being an actual common search term. Well, maybe that last one is what they are basing that price on. They will look at Google Trends for domain names and see if terms are common, and "MMORPG Maker" likely would be, since so many young folks want to make MMORPGs and don't know that it would actually be called an "engine" and not a "maker". Well, sorry, Halls!

As for MoM, yeah, definitely check it out. So do you have the old kit? And how much is in the kit? I vaguely remember that the kit was essentially the MoM MMO software without their content, but I am not sure if I am right.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:07 am

I still have several versions of the kit. I also have MOM which has all the content that is literally a drag and drop.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 pm

You have MoM? Huh. I never knew they distributed their assets and content. Well, it sounds like you have nearly everything you need. Did you ever hear anything back?

And as a side-question, how much would you be willing to put into this, effort-wise and financially as far as maintaining it (not including any development you may need to do, but for those external things you can't do yourself for free)? I remember MoM being a pretty big, full-on MMORPG around the scale of a Dark Age of Camelot or similar. That would be a fairly big server cluster to run it for more than a couple dozen players. And then what about staff? If even a thousand players came onto your server, you would be getting a message every couple of hours for help or info. It could quickly eat-up your free time if you didn't need to even hire someone.

Just curious. I have thought about using some kind of existing software (open source, maybe) to set up a graphical MMORPG as well, but I am kind of worried about the commitment.
Jackolantern

Postby OldRod » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:07 am

I had MoM back in the day, but I lost it, along with the MMO kit over the years... thought I had it backed up on a CD but the CD can't be read any more :(

Shortly after MoM was released, I actually helped do some dev work on a dungeon/quest area. I never finished it (I know, you're shocked :)) but I think Lara incorporated most of it into a later addition because I saw one of my quests mentioned in a dev post a few months later
OldRod

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am

I received a response from Randel.

Gene,
Thank you so much for reaching out. Of course we know exactly who you are and a great deal of the hard work and effort you have put into the Torque MMOKit, MMOWorkshop, and its community.
One of the most successful implementations of the Torque MMO Kit was actually A Mystical Land by Mad Otter Games. They've actually managed to get over 300K worth of players!

And then he goes on to explain their current situation and how they have to fulfill some needs to others before they can release and they are working on that. Sounds like they are trying but may be some more time.

I totally understand where you are coming from jack. I remember when I released Forsaken Sanctum how even with 50-100 players how involved I had to be. The one thing I can say about now is I am 10x the coder, am making 5x the money, and hardware and network is 10x what it use to be. What is nice is I see TONS of games on steam that are selling with the same graphic equivalence to MOM. Matter of fact look at Mount and Blade. Made with TGE and still selling. They just had a sale promotion and sold quite well.

I think I am going to get the kit going again on a server and let people join and play around. I will talk to Randel some more.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes.

And yes, you are right. Definitely you could run a PBBG or MUD and not have to treat it like a second job. Well, at least not a second full-time job. We know because tons of people do it. I just have some concerns about full-on, 3D MMORPGs. Since one application on one machine still can't handle your average 3D MMORPG, that means you are going to have multiple applications likely running on more than one machine. And that means more problems.

But it is definitely within the reach of a single-person or a small team now. That is something you could not say 15 years ago, when it would take $20,000+ to get all of the hardware and manpower to support just 10,000 players in a 3D MMO.

In some ways I feel like I was born too early. If I had the passion today for making a 3D MMO that I had back in the old MMORPGMaker days, everything is there to do it as a small team. But then in other ways I feel like I was born too late, when I look back to the early AOL and CompuServe days when a MUD or something like the original Neverwinter Nights was the height of gaming technology and could make hundreds of thousands of dollars and turn their creators into the leaders of the MMORPG era of the early 2000's. But, I was born when I was and have to make the best of it :?
Jackolantern

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Look at the 100's of thousands of dollars mount and blade has made still using old TGE. Nah it ain't about the time you were born. It is about the passion and drive you carry. Its tough but I think any finished project can wield great benefits, monetarily or some other means.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Off-Topic