Just got back from watching the eclipse!

Keep it clean but fun.

Re: Just got back from watching the eclipse!

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am

Jackolantern wrote:Haha! That is some planning ahead there!

I will say, though, that there is nothing special about eclipse light. It is just like looking at the sun during any normal time. If it hurts, stop looking at it. Pretty simple and safe. Something like 200M people watched the eclipse and injuries have been minimal.

What if though...what if science does not understand the entire universe. What if our scientists are not right 100% of the time and this time was different?
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 pm

hallsofvallhalla wrote:
Jackolantern wrote:Haha! That is some planning ahead there!

I will say, though, that there is nothing special about eclipse light. It is just like looking at the sun during any normal time. If it hurts, stop looking at it. Pretty simple and safe. Something like 200M people watched the eclipse and injuries have been minimal.

What if though...what if science does not understand the entire universe. What if our scientists are not right 100% of the time and this time was different?

Science definitely doesn't understand the entire universe. But the chances of something different happening this eclipse was pretty close to 0. Eclipses have been happening going all the way back in human history. It is a pretty well-understood phenomenon. Plus, retina damage doesn't typically happen instantly. You have to feel your eyes hurting and keep staring. Even for sources much more powerful than even the sun, such as high-energy welding rigs. Therefore even if something unexplained did happen and the light output went up 50% (and the chances of that are surely not 0, but they are astronomically low), the risk would not be great. So pretty much any way you slice it, it is very safe. And the sight was absolutely well worth that risk!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby hallsofvallhalla » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:51 am

The chances of hitting the Lottery are astronomically low too but it happens ;P

I am just toying, I understand there is literally no chance but its fun to imagine.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jackolantern » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Haha! I understand :lol:

Maybe try to catch the 2024 one though. There really is nothing like them!
The indelible lord of tl;dr
Jackolantern

Blog: View Blog (1)

Previous

Return to Off-Topic