Ultima Online

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Ultima Online

Post by Jackolantern »

Alright, so I never played UO except for a few trials were I found it just wasn't for me (this was already after later generations of MMOs were out, so I may have been a bit jaded). But I just realized that this September, Ultima Online will be turning 20 years old and it is still going. The only true MMO that you could say is older is Meridian 59, and it actually closed only a few years after UO came out (the M59 you see today is actually a re-re-release, as it has changed hands and been opened and closed multiple times). This just goes to show how long an MMO can stay afloat if it was popular in its day and if there is the will to keep going from the developer and publisher.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Ultima Online

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Yeah i remember the Ultima games back before the MMO and they were VERY popular so when the MMO came out we were all super excited and I think it really helped with sales and sustainability not to mention they listened to the community and built features that even games today still copy. I also believe the Emu helped out as well.
Jackolantern

Re: Ultima Online

Post by Jackolantern »

I also think UO got really lucky that Everquest came out just a little while after. Even though EQ may have taken a lot of players that could have gone to UO, EQ also set the standard for MMOs afterwards and that standard was very different from UO. Even WoW is in many ways modeled after EQ, just with some streamlining. So UO got to be kind of this oddball game for the most part that has stood up to time because it is still really the only game that can offer the same type of experience. There are other sandbox MMOs of course, but UO still feels different. This has helped UO weather the "new and shiny" issues that the MMO industry has faced for decades now.
The indelible lord of tl;dr

Return to “Off-Topic”