AffordaGolf Online Post-Mortem

Keep it clean but fun.
vitinho444

AffordaGolf Online Post-Mortem

Post by vitinho444 »

Hey guys, I'm here to share with you my latest game's post mortem.
It's a long read, and hopefully a good one. In there I write about the problems I faced during development and launch, how I accomplished some stuff and my rant on reviews.

Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n4m ... sp=sharing

Any question, feedback or anything just say :)

As always, thank you for your support through the years, couldn't be here without this forum.
My Company Website: http://www.oryzhon.com

a_bertrand

Re: AffordaGolf Online Post-Mortem

Post by a_bertrand »

Nice post, and I must say I'm amazed by the number of yes votes you get. If I share mine I can tell you that I'm basically 10x smaller (53 yes votes). So it's a huge achievement you made.

On the other side, if you sell around 1000 licenses at 2$ that's 2000$ made, for a couple of day work it's not bad but that certainly is not a sustainable way to earn your life. So either the price is too low, or you don't sell enough, sadly the whole current business model is wrong (not from you) it's simply that people expect to pay 1-5$ for games which require loads of work to produce. How can it work? It simply can't.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Awesome read. Crazy about those scammers though.

there is a well known issue with other developers on steam writing and even paying others to write bad reviews for competition. Steam doesn't care.
SpiritWebb

Post by SpiritWebb »

Read through it last night, amazing read and gave us some insight as we get closer to our Steam Greenlight

vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

a_bertrand wrote:Nice post, and I must say I'm amazed by the number of yes votes you get. If I share mine I can tell you that I'm basically 10x smaller (53 yes votes). So it's a huge achievement you made.

On the other side, if you sell around 1000 licenses at 2$ that's 2000$ made, for a couple of day work it's not bad but that certainly is not a sustainable way to earn your life. So either the price is too low, or you don't sell enough, sadly the whole current business model is wrong (not from you) it's simply that people expect to pay 1-5$ for games which require loads of work to produce. How can it work? It simply can't.
Well I think it depends on a lot of factors. But I didn't promote it other than a small group of game devs from my country.. It can be the genre though which pulls some votes.
And yes it's not that good, most of the sales were during winter sale (which gives your game some "shelf space") so I haven't made not even near 2000$, and that's what's hard, is to get that shelf space from steam.. very hard indeed.

Also, I think there should be a model for what a game is worth. You see No Mans Sky for 60$ but then you see Witcher for 50$, and then other good games at 20$.. There should be some kind of standard I don't know.

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Awesome read. Crazy about those scammers though.

there is a well known issue with other developers on steam writing and even paying others to write bad reviews for competition. Steam doesn't care.
Yeah I had that problem with my first one, mostly scammers threatening to write bad reviews if I didn't give keys and all that.. Steam keeps making lots of money with this "greenlight" system and that's all they care.
SpiritWebb wrote:Read through it last night, amazing read and gave us some insight as we get closer to our Steam Greenlight
Thanks, hope it really helps! And be sure to share with us!

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I do have an idea that could potential make a some money off games like these. Around 3k-10k a month if done right. I have been doing some research and I think its a solid idea. Still working on it though. I will share it with a few people if some people want to join together and try to make something work.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:I do have an idea that could potential make a some money off games like these. Around 3k-10k a month if done right. I have been doing some research and I think its a solid idea. Still working on it though. I will share it with a few people if some people want to join together and try to make something work.
As long as it's not a Ponzi scheme I would like to know more :lol:
Seriously though, whenever you finish it, you can tell me (if you want ofc) ;)

hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Its definitely not a scheme. Its simply a way to sell smaller games to a VERY large audience. I will hit you up when I know more.
vitinho444

Post by vitinho444 »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:Its definitely not a scheme. Its simply a way to sell smaller games to a VERY large audience. I will hit you up when I know more.
I appreciate that. I was joking about the scheme thing ;)

Sharlenwar

Post by Sharlenwar »

Great article!
Deep within the Void of Quasion, a creation.

**My Corner of the Web**
***NEW***GrindFest - My own PHP/MySQL game!
Sharlenwar's Adventures
Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG

Return to “Off-Topic”