Really Apple?!

Keep it clean but fun.
Jackolantern

Really Apple?!

Post by Jackolantern »

Listen, I get being a pissy b&%@h sometimes, but really, Apple?

If you have a Mac, I would love for someone else to try this out to see if it is just me (but I don't think it is because I just re-formatted my Macbook Pro and there is almost nothing on it):

1. Make sure you are signed-in to iCloud and have an "iCloud" folder on your Mac
2. Go to a non-iCloud backed-up folder, and create a folder called "OneDrive" and put some stuff in it
3. Copy the "OneDrive" folder
4. Go to the iCloud folder, or any other folder that is automatically backed-up to iCloud
5. Paste the "OneDrive" folder into your iCloud folder
6. See if it gets the ineligible icon (either the word "ineligible" under the folder icon, or a cloud with a line through it depending on the folder view options)

It is really looking to me like Apple will not let you add a folder called "OneDrive" to iCloud!! As soon as I changed the name, it instantly synced! Just removing the "D" from the title makes it instantly sync, and adding it back makes it and all of its contents immediately become ineligible. For the record, I took some stuff off of my OneDrive account and threw it in iCloud, but since I already had new stuff in iCloud I made a "OneDrive" folder to keep it organized and separate. That's how I discovered this.

I also just tried with "DropBox" and the same thing happens. I guess I can understand Apple not wanting to allow people to double-store things, thus wasting space on iCloud, but...its your space if you wanted to do that. Plus, MacOS is a very controlled OS. They can know if it is a normal folder with that name or if you actually have OneDrive or DropBox installed and if that is the actual program's folder. This kind of feels like Apple just wanting to give the finger to other cloud storage services to me. I looked around online and couldn't really see that this had been pointing out before.
The indelible lord of tl;dr
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

Re: Really Apple?!

Post by hallsofvallhalla »

Hahah that sounds about right! I can see some hipster working at Mac saying "You shall not pass!!!!" Then he sips on his $8 latte and says " This is the icloud, it way to good to allow wannabe cloud service names".

I will say I seen the first actual cool new idea from Apple and that is the slide bar on the new Pro Books.
a_bertrand

Post by a_bertrand »

Actually I think this bar is a stupid idea... For a couple of reasons:
- When I use a keyboard I don't want to watch my fingers, nor see what's going on there.
- A keyboard gives you the feeling of where the keys are because you feel the border of the keys as well as the travel of the key when you press. Those are the things you don't have on a touch screen and that's why you can't really write with a touch screen. They why would I need a "touch" area on my keyboard?
- Something which will fix itself over time IF developers pick the thing: so far it's pretty much useless.

Why not have real connectivity instead of adding this crap? Also who cares about a yet slimmer laptop? Is that any useful? Nope.

Honestly I don't like the way those companies are going. Same with MS BTW with their latest "workstation" which yes it may look cool, but... really so expensive? Add also that they added the connectors on the back, so useful to plug stuff in. Finally a touch device which can't really be used by artists is as good as nothing. Why is it not usable because you have "odd effects" before you touch and after you touch as the soft still keep the press info a couple of mm away from the screen. Bad...

Nope I don't like at all how those companies think we are interested in those gimmicks.
Creator of Dot World Maker
Mad programmer and annoying composer
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 haha. I don't have a one drive but I do have Dropbox on my iMac and I can take a look later to see if it is synced up or not. What OS are you using? My iMac is on I believe it's Sierra but my MacBook is on El Captain.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

I like the idea of the touch slider because I can manage music from it, have a quick launch bar, manage volumes, display settings, manage sound devices, have notifications not on my screen, ect all from one bar without cluttering up the keyboard area. I am not sure if they have those features on it but that's what I assume would be on it.
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

KyleMassacre wrote:Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 haha. I don't have a one drive but I do have Dropbox on my iMac and I can take a look later to see if it is synced up or not. What OS are you using? My iMac is on I believe it's Sierra but my MacBook is on El Captain.
It should probably be synced up. It isn't actually that other cloud services won't sync on a Mac, it is just putting a folder named "OneDrive" or "DropBox" into iCloud breaks it. And yes, this is on Sierra as well. :)

My big disappointment in the new Macbook Pros is the lack of configuration. The configuration options have decreased since the last model (mine is the last model) and the price on the 15" laptops have gone way up (by almost $800 at minimum. You do get a bit better computer, but they force you to get a high-end quad-core CPU which is basically pointless on a laptop and really, most other computers (von Neumann's Bottleneck).

What I would have liked to have seen were 32gb of RAM options, the ability to not take the video card upgrade (mobile video cards are really a joke unless you go very high-end), not being forced to take a quad-core CPU and a starting price around $1800 like the past MBP 15".

The touch pad thing is kind of cool, but honestly Windows laptops have entire touch screens. I likely would not have been taking this upgrade no matter what since I have hardly had mine for a year yet and would have likely waited for the next update, but it was still disappointing to see that this is the direction.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

That's what I find the most funny about a mac. They offer that latest greatest Processor and ram. Matter of fact it is required, yet they run at 1/8 of a windows and that is pretty sad being that windows is now so bloated.
Work bought me a mac book a year or two ago and it was a I7 with 16 gig ram and it ran like a windows dual core with 4 gigs. They add all this extra cause its required and then charge you like you are getting something special.

The newest I7 with 16 gig ram windows laptop is going is going to kill it. My daughters I7 extreme with 32 gig ram smokes any mac on the market and I paid 1/2 of even the lowest new mac. Its sad really.
KyleMassacre

Post by KyleMassacre »

hallsofvallhalla wrote:That's what I find the most funny about a mac. They offer that latest greatest Processor and ram. Matter of fact it is required, yet they run at 1/8 of a windows and that is pretty sad being that windows is now so bloated.
Work bought me a mac book a year or two ago and it was a I7 with 16 gig ram and it ran like a windows dual core with 4 gigs. They add all this extra cause its required and then charge you like you are getting something special.

The newest I7 with 16 gig ram windows laptop is going is going to kill it. My daughters I7 extreme with 32 gig ram smokes any mac on the market and I paid 1/2 of even the lowest new mac. Its sad really.
I just really hate the bloat that comes with Windows. I am forced to use Windows at my work (currently Win7 because we haven't validated whatever IE comes with 8 on our intranet) <- talk about sad.

Yes we do have shared desktops within the group so like 8 people use each desktop and it takes me 5-10 minutes to log into it and it's an "Engineering" desktop so it's supposed to handle our resource intensive programs like SolidWorks but it sucks ass. My 5 year old MacBook turns on, and logs in within 2 minutes on a bad day
Jackolantern

Post by Jackolantern »

My Mac is actually quite fast compared to most similarly-specced Windows PCs I have seen. About the same performance, really. Definitely nowhere near 1/8 performance, so I am not sure what was wrong with the one you had. In fact, I can run Windows on Parallels on my Mac at near the speeds most people get running it natively on a similarly specced machine. Unless you are comparing gaming. Gaming on Mac is a joke, and most games are tuned for Windows, obviously, so performance really falls by the wayside for the Mac version. I don't do any gaming on my Macbook Pro at all.

Really, if it wasn't for iOS development, I probably would not have even gotten a Mac. There are definitely some things I like about it. Web development is much easier on it, particularly using node, Ruby or any of the other open-source web stacks. But that is really a function of it being Unix-based and you can get that for free from a Linux distro. For the money, you could get a much more powerful Windows PC. But there is always iOS development, and that is pretty much the end of the line. If you want to develop for iOS, you have to have a Mac at least available to compile and sign on. There are some work-arounds using MacOS running in a VM, but those are shoddy and you are really asking for trouble and the cloud compilation services advertised online (where you can send your code to a service that has Mac constantly running to compile iOS code) are wildly inconvenient at best and shady at worst.
hallsofvallhalla
Site Admin

A $2,000 mac and a $2,000 Win PC is not even comparable. A $2k win machine will smoke that mac. For $1700 I bought a new I7 Extreme with 32 gig ram, 2 hard drives, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5, eye tracking monitor and lots of other features, 17" laptop. Find me a mac for that price even close.

Macs are like old Volkswagon bugs to me. God knows why they are still so expensive for nothing special, just looks good to other hipsters :) Your two best days are the day you buy a Mac and they day you sell it.

Return to “Off-Topic”